Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When creating a part under the Solid Bodies

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
johnEE7T4
152 Views, 3 Replies

When creating a part under the Solid Bodies

Maybe a silly question but when creating a part under the Solid Bodies...I was wondering if there is a way to give the part properties where I can extrude, etc in that specific part file vs having to open up the base component to edit the part. 

This is where you typically right click and choose create part. 

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
andrewiv
in reply to: johnEE7T4

Not sure if I completely understand what you're saying.  Are you working in an assembly file or a part file?

It sounds like maybe you're deriving a part and want to be able to edit the part from the child without having to open the parent?

Andrew In’t Veld
Designer

Message 3 of 4
blandb

So if I am following you, you have created your "master part" with all the main solids, then have used the "make components" command to push those solids to the assembly? If so, then all the solids are now their own part essentially derived from the master. You can open each part and manipulate the individual part from there and it will not show on the "master file". Hope that helps.

Autodesk Certified Professional
Message 4 of 4
johnsonshiue

Hi John,

I think you are probably looking for a SWX workflow in INV. SWX has the ability to "derive" a body but chop off the feature tree. Essentially, it is like packing a selected portion of a history and transplanting it elsewhere.

INV does not have that ability. INV Derive is to establish a parent (source) and child (derive) relationship. The child part is driven by the parent part. This Derive relationship can be severed so that the parent can no longer influence the child.

Derive does not inherit the feature tree. Only the geometry, sketches, and parameters can be passed down.

To be exact, there isn't an equivalent SWX workflow in INV in this case.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report