Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unfolding a cone and making holes adaptive in sheet metal and assembly.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
PremTM
286 Views, 3 Replies

Unfolding a cone and making holes adaptive in sheet metal and assembly.

Hi!

Any idea why I can unfold half a cone but I can't refold it? I know that due to the way it's been cut there are 2 places with a little more material, but basically the same piece unfolded and refolded previously in v. 2021...

File attatched below.

A tougher question:

Is there any good way of making holes adaptive between folded and unfolded state AND assembly? What I mean by that is I wish to have a cone with an offset bracket. I want to have them assembled using bolts and nuts and make it adaptive so that I can change the dimensions of the cone and holes placement and have it update + I want to be able to dimension holes in folded state in idw. I've been trying for many hours...

Using Inventor 2019 at the moment.

Thanks for any input.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
johnsonshiue
in reply to: PremTM

Hi! There seems to be subtle difference in the side faces. They are not perpendicular to the sheet metal faces. Please also share Body.ipt. I would like to take a closer look.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 4
BDCollett

@PremTM wrote:

Hi!

Any idea why I can unfold half a cone but I can't refold it? I know that due to the way it's been cut there are 2 places with a little more material, but basically the same piece unfolded and refolded previously in v. 2021...

File attatched below.

A tougher question:

Is there any good way of making holes adaptive between folded and unfolded state AND assembly? What I mean by that is I wish to have a cone with an offset bracket. I want to have them assembled using bolts and nuts and make it adaptive so that I can change the dimensions of the cone and holes placement and have it update + I want to be able to dimension holes in folded state in idw. I've been trying for many hours...

Using Inventor 2019 at the moment.

Thanks for any input.

Can you share the whole assembly? Not completely sure your need for the adaptive between folded and unfolded. I would just use a top down method and model both parts in the same place so they all update. 

If you are using 2022 something you could do is have a model state with it folded and one unfolded version to get that data.

Message 4 of 4
johnsonshiue

Hi! There is a little trick to make Refold work for this case. Something is indeed strange about the detail faces.

Move EOP above the Unfold feature. Use Thicken command -> uncheck "Auto-Blending" -> Intersect -> pick the inner face -> set distance to Thickness 1mm -> select inward direction. After that, move EOP to the bottom. Refold will work.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report