Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to successfully update the member part file

38 REPLIES 38
Message 1 of 39
amirx79
3093 Views, 38 Replies

Unable to successfully update the member part file

We use Inventor 2017, Win 7 64-bit, Excel 2016

We have a problem with Content Center threaded parts (nuts, screws etc.). We get following error message when we insert parts:

"Unable to successfully update the member part file. Problem occurred when setting thread data"

Parts can be inserted but the thread is wrong. I tried to fix the problem by replacing our customized Excel spreadsheet Thread.xls by original Thread.xls file, and that didn't help. I also tried to use Inventor Reset Utility to reset the local environment for a Windows User Account (Inventor), and that didn't help either.

Any suggestions how to fix this?

Thanks

/Amir

38 REPLIES 38
Message 2 of 39
Mark.Lancaster
in reply to: amirx79

@amirx79

First have you applied all the latest service packs/fixes for Inventor 2017.  Many were experiencing content center issues and the latest fix has seemed to fixed those issues.  I would start there.  I've all seen over the years odd things regarding content center and thread information.  Years ago I ran into a similar issue and I don't remember how I got passed it.  But I would check to make sure all the thread data is in the correct format and meets what's in the thread excel spreadsheet.

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 3 of 39
amirx79
in reply to: Mark.Lancaster

All available updates are installed. As I wrote I tried with original thread.xls file and same error occurred.

/Amir
Message 4 of 39
WHolzwarth

How long ago did you switch to Excel 2016?

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 5 of 39
amirx79
in reply to: WHolzwarth

We got Office 2016 6 months ago. We upgraded from Inventor 2015 to Inventor 2017 in September. Content Center worked without any problems until this Monday when we noticed this problem. As I could see this issue is well known since earlier versions, and different solutions helped different users. I tried two of them (replace thread.xls and reset Inventor user account) and those didn't help. Then there were solutions where I would need to change some parameters up and down, but those kind of solutions can do more damage than they can help, so I don't want to take that risk. So, is there any "stable" solution out there 🙂
Message 6 of 39
amirx79

Very strange things are happening.

When I changed project file to default.ipj I was able to insert parts with no problem. Then I changed to our project file "company".ipj and still no problems. And when I restarted Inventor and tried to insert same parts with "company".ipj errors occur.

I don't get it...

It seems to me that there is some kind of bug.  

Message 7 of 39
Jon.Dean

Hi Amir,

If it works when using the Default project and not your Company project, then the two projects are pointing to different content.

Edit your projects and compare the location of the content in the "Folder Options" section.

Jon.

Jon Dean

Message 8 of 39
rjkdk

I am using Inventor 2010 on windows 7 ultimate.

Would an Inventor 2010 repair solve this issue?

Message 9 of 39
johnsonshiue
in reply to: rjkdk

Hi! Your issue may or may not be the same as this thread. Could you provide an example exhibiting the behavior?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 10 of 39
rjkdk
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hello there

Actually the full description reads : "Unable to successfully update the
member part file. Problem occurred when setting thread data".
Message 11 of 39
johnsonshiue

Hi! Please send me an example (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com). I would like to understand the behavior better.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 12 of 39
amirx79

In our case the problem was caused by our CAD supplier because they migrated old Design Data (2015 version into 2017 version) when they upgrated our Inventor from 2015 to 2017. When they installed latest version of Design Data, which was 2017, the problem was solved. Regards /Amir

Message 13 of 39

I AM FACING SAME ISSUE

Message 14 of 39

Hi! A few things to check. Do you have thread.xls in the \Design Data\ folder? Without it, any thread related workflow (threaded hole, hole notes, thread) will not work. Do you have Excel.exe installed? What Inventor version are you running?

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 15 of 39
amirx79

Hi

same problem again!

It must be something with Win 10 1903 and 2019.4 update to do because I didnt have that problem before I updated.

Anyone that have a clue how to fix it?

Message 16 of 39
johnsonshiue

Hi! I am not sure if your issue is the same as this one. Please install 2019.4 update followed by 2019.4.2 update. Make sure all critical Windows updates are installed. If possible, please share an example exhibiting the behavior.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 17 of 39
amirx79

I have newest Win 10 uppdates, I installed Inventor 2019.04.02 and the problem remains, partially.

And what do I mean by partially 🙂

Well I tested to insert a threaded standard part from Content Center into a new assembly first time and it worked. Then I tested to insert the same part from CC to a assembly that I had problems with threads yesterday where I saw the issue for the "first" time, and the same problem happened. Then I tested again to insert another part into a new assembly and problem remained. Went back to my existing assembly and tried again with other threaded parts, no different. THEN I started new assembly AGAIN and then it WORKED! I used same part that didn´t work before. So to solve my problem with my existing assembly I copied that part into the assembly and no error message showed.

These issues when it works sometimes and sometimes it doesn´t are the funnies ones 🙂  

Message 18 of 39
johnsonshiue

Hi! Another place to check would be your Project file. Make sure the Design Data folder and Content Center folder are set up correctly.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 19 of 39
amirx79

Hi!

Thanks for trying to help.

It is nothing wrong with the project file and Design Data and Content Center folders because everything worked just fine BEFORE Win 1903 and Inventor 2019.4 update.

We have not changed any settings since we updated Inventor version from 2017 to 2019, update done in november 2018, so since then no problems with Content Center, until now...

I wonder if Autodesk have got reports from other users about this issue because this problem seems to occur from time to time? As you can read in this thread I had same problem with 2017 version, and other users also had same/similar problems with standard parts threads from Content Center.

Thank you

/Amir

Message 20 of 39
johnsonshiue

Hi Amir,

Inventor 2019.4 should address Windows 10 build 1903 issues. Please take a look at the following thread and install the appropriate updates.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-forum/frame-generator-cannot-find-templates-for-insertion-of...

For 2019, .4 update should address the problem. Please double-check Help -> About and see if 2019.4 is indeed installed. If not, please install 2019.4 followed by 2019.4.2 update.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report