Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to successfully update the member part file

38 REPLIES 38
Message 1 of 39
amirx79
3098 Views, 38 Replies

Unable to successfully update the member part file

We use Inventor 2017, Win 7 64-bit, Excel 2016

We have a problem with Content Center threaded parts (nuts, screws etc.). We get following error message when we insert parts:

"Unable to successfully update the member part file. Problem occurred when setting thread data"

Parts can be inserted but the thread is wrong. I tried to fix the problem by replacing our customized Excel spreadsheet Thread.xls by original Thread.xls file, and that didn't help. I also tried to use Inventor Reset Utility to reset the local environment for a Windows User Account (Inventor), and that didn't help either.

Any suggestions how to fix this?

Thanks

/Amir

38 REPLIES 38
Message 21 of 39
amirx79
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hi,

as I wrote all the latest updates are installed ☹️

See screenshot from my Inventor.

Am I the only one with this problem? If yes then problem is "locally". 

But I doubt that...

Anyway I need better tip then "install latest update" 🙂

Thanks

Inventor 2019.4.2.jpg

Message 22 of 39
johnsonshiue
in reply to: amirx79

Hi! Yes, you are on the latest 2019 update. It sounds like a file specific behavior. Please share the files here or send them to me directly (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com). I would like to understand the behavior better.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 23 of 39
amirx79

Hi!
There are no files to share, the best way to see the behavior is if I show you by screen sharing, e.g. by "Teams". The behavior is quite strange, similar that I had with 2017 version. Issue then was that our CAD provider didn´t migrate Design Data when we updated Inventor from 2015 to 2017. Solution was to migrate Design Data also. But this time we do have latest Design Data, and problem occurred with Win 1903 and Inventor 2019.4 (2019.4.2) update. 

Regards

/Amir

Message 24 of 39
johnsonshiue

Hi! The reason I was asking for files is that the behavior is not normal. Member files should be up-to-date or can be made up-to-date, as long as the factory file exists. I cannot reproduce the behavior. I don't believe a video would help me understand it better. If possible, please share the files here.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 25 of 39
sbromley

I've suddenly run into this problem and I'm now fed up to the back teeth with Inventor, every time I have a problem and fix it another occurs a few days later. It's getting beyond a joke now and not fit for purpose.

These are standard CC bolts I'm trying to place & I get the error message -

Capture.JPG

Then the bolt is placed in an assembly but with ANSI Metric M Profile thread instead of ISO Metric profile.

Utter garbage, the sooner we move to Solidworks the better. I can get an ISO Metric thread if I create a part why not on a standard Autodesk supplied bolt???????

Autocad Mechanical 2023
Message 26 of 39
johnsonshiue
in reply to: sbromley

Hi! I know you are frustrated. Based on the description, it seems that the Thread.xls file in \Design Data\ is either missing or incomplete with the required thread specs. Please close all Inventor files and go to Get Started -> Project -> Folder Options -> Design Data. Then go to File Explorer and find the \Design Data\ folder -> XLS. Make sure the thread table is there.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 27 of 39
sbromley

@johnsonshiue  Thanks for your reply, yes the thread.xls is in the correct place. It's been in the same place for years.

Capture.JPG

Autocad Mechanical 2023
Message 28 of 39
johnsonshiue

Hi! If possible, please share an example with me. I would like to understand the behavior better. It does not sound right to me.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 29 of 39
sbromley

I chose an ISO Metric bolt from CC but the bolt inserted is ANSI Metric Profile.

Thread.xls added.

Capture.JPG

Untitled.jpg

Autocad Mechanical 2023
Message 30 of 39
johnsonshiue

Hi! Many thanks for sharing the Thread.xls! When I try placing a threaded hole using your Thread table, I got an error message, "Error in ISO Metric profile thread family: Thread designation M0.45x0.1 is associated with more than one custom thread designation."

I took a quick look and I found an issue with the thread table. It looks like there is thread designation conflict. ISO M Profile designation and ANSI M Profile designation are identical. They should not be. You can compare it with the original Thread.xls file shipped with Inventor. And, you will see the thread designations are staggered.

Thanks again!

Software Test Engineer
Message 31 of 39
sbromley

@johnsonshiue  thanks for taking a look.

I've checked my file against the original copy & they look the same on there too!

Strange how it all worked fine last week!

It still adds the thread as ANSI Metric profile even if I delete the ANSI thread from the Thread.xls file.

Autocad Mechanical 2023
Message 32 of 39
sbromley

@johnsonshiue  I don't know what you mean by staggered.

I've opened up every Thread.xls file I can find on my PC and both ISO & ANSI Metric threads are the same as each other in them all.

Autocad Mechanical 2023
Message 33 of 39
johnsonshiue

Hi! I am sorry I was looking at a different table. I need to take a closer look. But, for whatever reason Inventor complains about the particular thread table.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 34 of 39
johnsonshiue

Hi! I think I have found the problem. There is indeed subtle difference between your thread table vs the one shipped with Inventor. There is a formatting difference. Look at the Thread Designation for "ISO Metric Profile" table. You will see some have extra space before and after 'x' but some don't. The inconsistency causes confusion. This issue seems to be specific to ISO M Profile, not to others.

I have corrected the format in attached thread table. It should work better now.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 35 of 39
sbromley

@johnsonshiue thanks for the reply.

The extra spaces were put there by myself. I have spaces on my drawing notes because without it looks awful.

I want the thread designation to say "M6 x 1" not "M6x1" on my drawings. That's the point of the "Custom Thread Designation" column. This system has worked fine for me for a few years,

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-forum/hole-note-without-pitch/td-p/3693828

I'll take a look at your file and see how I go on.

Thanks.

Autocad Mechanical 2023
Message 36 of 39
johnsonshiue

Hi @sbromley,

Then I cannot explain the behavior. I used your thread table on Inventor 2016 and the same error came up complaining the spec was duplicated. After the space was removed, the error went away. I don't think extra space was a problem. It was probably consistency. Some specs have it but some don't. I suggest you want to add the extra space to all specs.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 37 of 39
abhay.gilka

Hi @johnsonshiue 

Im facing a similar issue when I place my custom metric screw.Attached is my content center idcl file and thread.xls.

The imperial custom screw works fine, just the metric throws up this error.

kindly review and advise.thanks..

Message 38 of 39
johnsonshiue
in reply to: abhay.gilka

Hi! I tried the workflow on 2023 (see below screencast). It seems to work fine. I guess there was a bug and it might have been fixed in later releases.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/community/screencast/efec0418-3bc3-41c9-9e1b-527a32f17fba

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 39 of 39
abhay.gilka

We are using Inventor 2019 globally and appreciate any work around to address this issue..thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report