Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turn Sketch into a polyline

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
1619 Views, 5 Replies

Turn Sketch into a polyline

After drawing the sketch and extruding it there are some extra lines that show up in the drawing that should not be there, maybe that problem could be solved if I could turn all the lines that compose the sketch as a polyline or something of the kind, can anyone help? (in the .JPG file you see it circled in red )

Tags (2)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
johnsonshiue
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi! The edge is there for a reason. It means the face on one side of the edge is different than the other side of the edge. You can hide it by right-clicking it in the drawing view -> uncheck Visibility. In real world, the edge is indeed there. It is just that it is not as apparent as it looks in the drawing view.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 6
Mark.Lancaster

@Anonymous

Adding to @johnsonshiue information.  When posting and sharing files, always indicate what Inventor versions you're using.  In your case its Inventor 2017 (original release).  You may want to think about updating your version of Inventor...  You have a version that came April 2016..

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 4 of 6
rhasell

Hi

Its because the part is actually poorly modeled.

Besides not having any dimension or constraints, the line in question is actually an overlapping arc, hens the reason for having to try and clean it up with fillets.

Have a a look at the attached part, if you are able to open it.

Just in case, I attached a screen capture of the preferred profile.

One of the overlapping curvesOne of the overlapping curvescontrained-1.JPG

Reg
Please Accept as a solution / Kudos
Message 5 of 6
Mark.Lancaster
in reply to: rhasell

@Anonymous

In addition to @rhasell information..

Keep your sketches simple..  Looking at your model structure, it looks like you are doing extra work or redoing the same steps over again.  Don't sketch out holes.  Use the actual Inventor functions to make your life much easier..  The method you're using is like putting all your eggs in one basket.  Smiley Very Happy

For example (screenshots since I'm using Inventor 2018 right at the moment)..

Your base or first extrusion..  Granted I don't have all the dimensions but just a quick way of showing an example in how to keep your sketches simple.  But as @rhasell pointed..  Sketches should be properly dimension and constrained.

2018-03-15_21-45-47.jpg

From there I extrude all the closed profiles in my sketch..

Then I start a new sketch on top and extrude the boss part..

2018-03-15_21-48-39.jpg 

From there I made 3 concentric holes.  Two on the lower base and one through the center.

2018-03-15_21-47-33.jpg 

2018-03-15_21-54-28.jpg  Then added the chamfer to the center hole.

In the end each of us would attack this problem differently but keep your sketches as simple as possible and use the actual modeling functions within Inventor and don't sketch modeling functions.  Let the software do the work and when it comes to the drawing aspect, it will make your job easier.. Smiley Wink

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 6 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Mark.Lancaster

Thank you very much kind sirs, I will be working very hard to improve my modelling skills. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report