Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turn an assembly .iam to .ipt

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
Anonymous
18622 Views, 13 Replies

Turn an assembly .iam to .ipt

Hi, I have a hinge and I'm trying to convert the file from .iam to .ipt and I'm not quite sure how to do it. I'm in the last stages of building a mockup of an Apple MacBook Pro 15 with Touch Bar. 

Thanks!

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

Start a new part file.

Manage tab select Derive Component.

Select the assembly *.iam file.

There are other ways as well, but try this one first.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

It didn't work... Is there any other way?

Message 4 of 14
johnsonshiue

Hi! Could you be more specific on what you meant by "did not work"? Is that Derive Assembly does not provide the desirable result? Or, Derive Assembly simply fails? Or, you could not find Derive command?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: johnsonshiue

When it did not work it said "The Base Component for the Derived feature could not be opened."

Message 6 of 14
johnsonshiue

Hi! I am sorry I think I am confused. Do you mind taking a snapshot of the screen showing the issue? The information you provided so far can yield multiple discussions. I would like to focus on your exact issue. Or, you can attach the files you are having trouble with.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 7 of 14
Anonymous

This is the file I'm trying to convert.

Thanks!

Message 8 of 14
johnsonshiue

Hi! Do you have all the ipt and iam files? The iam file you attached is the top-level assembly, which does not contain geometry. Please attach all the reference files.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 9 of 14
Anonymous

These are all of the files.

Thanks!

Message 10 of 14
jhackney1972

The two parts are not a part of the assembly you provided.  Take a look at the three attachments, the assembly you provided is first, and the two parts are second and third.  The assembly is of a door hinge and the two parts are from, what looks like a MAC book.  Open Inventor, choose the "Open" command, navigate to the assembly you want to find all the components to, highlight it, then right click and select Pack & Go.  This routine will automatically find all the parts to your assembly, if they exist in the configured project, and allow you to copy them to a folder of your choice.  From that folder you can send the correct files to the forum for analysis.

Without the correct assembly and all the components in the assembly, no one will be able to help you using your material.

Below is a Screencast showing you how to use the Derive command to make a single part from one of my assemblies. The Screencast also shows how to use the Pack and Go command.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 11 of 14
Anonymous

Hiya, 

I am trying to convert an assembly to a part. I have followed the instructions of creating a new part, selecting derive parts and ten choosing the assembly file. All work well up until here. 

When the box pops up and press ok, part of my assembly disappears... I have attached images to explain what I mean. 

Message 12 of 14
JDMather

stl is rubbish for most anything but 3D printing.

Did you create the geometry yourself, or did you get it from someone else?

You would need to run the AutodeskMeshEnabler on that geometry, but my guess from the image is that it is too poor of quality to convert to solid.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 13 of 14
Anonymous

Thankyou for your reply. 

I got it from my uni tutor. 

I will go about it another way.

Thanks again

Message 14 of 14
vishnuoxford

You can create a multibody part with an additional step:

1. Save your assembly as a step file.

2. Open a new part file. Under 3D Model, select Import.

3. Select the step file you have created. The Multi-body part should be selected under Assembly Options. Click OK.

vishnuoxford_0-1685684181589.png

You will now have a part file independent of the assembly file.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report