Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create new component in assembly - Error: "Cannot find template for"

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
john.mills665UF
373 Views, 4 Replies

Create new component in assembly - Error: "Cannot find template for"

Hi all

First time I have tried this, so probably doing something stupid.  I am trying to create a new component in an assembly, and after it asks me to select the sketch plane, I get the error:

i New Component:  problems encountered while executing this command.

! Cannot find template for

It would be extremely helpful to be able to build this in the assy environment, as its a piece of copper drain tubing that has several routing bends in it.

Thanks

John

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
jeanchile
in reply to: john.mills665UF

Are you in the assembly file and then click the "Create" button (Assemble Ribbon Tab, Component Panel, Create command with the grey box and orange star in the top right corner)?

If so, when the "Create In-Place Component" dialog box pops up, do you specify a standard Inventor template or do you select a custom template that you (or your company) created?

Do you use project specific templates (templates you create with each new project) or do you use one set of templates for every project/model you create?

Just trying to understand the workflow first before I offer an additional method to try...

Inventor Professional
Message 3 of 5
john.mills665UF
in reply to: jeanchile

Hi Jeanchile,

All yes's on your first sentence/paragraph.

On the second, after clicking on the starred grey box, it immediately (nothing pops up) wants me to select the sketch plane (select sketch plane for base feature".  After selecting a plane or surface (tried both), the error appears.

As for templates, I think the default is inches, but I always use the long method and drill into a specific template before starting a part, assembly, etc, as I usually but not always use a standard (mm) ipt or iam

Regards

John

Message 4 of 5
jeanchile
in reply to: john.mills665UF

This is weird. I've never encountered this behavior and we may need help from the super-smart resources on here. Just curious though... what is listed when you go to Application Options: Files Tab? See Pic. Are there template files if you navigate to the folder listed in your Application Options or is it empty?

What is listed if you go to your Projects window? See Pic. Does your project file point to a different template folder location? Are there template files wherever the project window points you?

When you click "Create" you are immediately asked for a sketch plane, huh? I've never seen that behavior before but I'm on 2021 still. Perhaps something has changed since then. This next line of questioning is moot if you're not presented with a dialog box after clicking "Create", but if you do get a dialog...  is there a template listed in the template drop-down list? What happens if you click the "white paper" icon to the right of the drop-down list? Does it take you to template files somewhere?

Sorry for all the questions with no solutions. I'm hoping at the very least I'll have forced enough information out of you that someone like JohnsonShiue or JD or CGBenner (ya' know... one of the Hall-of-Famers) can chime in and say something smart.

Inventor Professional
Message 5 of 5
john.mills665UF
in reply to: jeanchile

Hi Jeanchile,

Problem solved, turns out there were corrupt Windows 10 files... I ran a scf and it fixed it.  I should have known, and before I post anything again, I will check that again first!  I noticed that Inventor took a little longer to load than normal, got a black screen while it loaded, and suddenly thumbnails were broken on the home screen.  My stomach sank a bit at first...thought I was going to have to reinstall Inventor (there is no repair for Inventor anymore).  Microsoft has been overly agressive and sneaky in trying to upgrade to Win 11, and I am wondering if something managed to slip through the cracks.

thanks for jumping on this to help!

John

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Customer Advisory Groups

Autodesk Design & Make Report