Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to learn sheet metal ... no unconsumed sketches problem!

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
agordon
2423 Views, 14 Replies

Trying to learn sheet metal ... no unconsumed sketches problem!

I am very familiar with F360, but I am attempting to solve a sheet metal problem (now s/metal in F360 yet).

I am attempting to "unfold" the shape below and get "No unconsumed sketches on the part".  I've searched in vain to find an answer, and watched several S/metal videos, but still don't have a clue how to proceed.

The Flange was exported from Rhinocad as a STEP file, and imported in Inventor Pro17.  I've attached the ipt file.

Appreciate any advice!

flange.jpg

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
mdavis22569
in reply to: agordon

I think you need to thicken it and make it a solid and not a surface

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 3 of 15
Mark.Lancaster

@agordon

When sharing files and posting, you should always indicate what version of Inventor this file was created with or last saved in..  In your case its Inventor 2017.  

Disregard what I just said..  I missed the part about importing it into Inv Pro 2017.  My bad..  Smiley Sad

Secondly as @mdavis22569 pointed out..  This is just a surface, its not a solid so Inventor Sheet Metal is unable to work with just surfaces.

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 4 of 15

Happy dance ... I was right about something today ....

:smileyvery-happy:   Smiley Very Happy   Smiley Very Happy   Smiley Very Happy

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 5 of 15
agordon
in reply to: Mark.Lancaster

Thanks Mark (and MDavis).  I trying not to sound dumb as a rock, but I'm guessing I must be ... I have tried every link in the sheet metal tab to try and extrude the surface with no success (just lots of No unconsumed etc.!).

Message 6 of 15
Curtis_Waguespack

Hi agordon,

Look on the 3D Model tab as shown here. Also be sure to set the Distance to "Thickness" which is pre-named the parameter that the sheet metal file uses to determine the metal thickness.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Autodesk Inventor Thickenn Sheet Metl.PNG

Message 7 of 15
TheCADWhisperer

Thicken, not extrude (same as in Fusion) and it is not on the sheet metal tab (same as not in Fusion Smiley LOL ).

Look on the 3D modeling tab.

Message 8 of 15

@Curtis_Waguespack

I will not comment on your highlighting but are you modeling "Pringles" (chips) now?  Smiley Very Happy 

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 9 of 15
agordon
in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

@Curtis_Waguespack wrote:

Hi agordon,

Look on the 3D Model tab as shown here. Also be sure to set the Distance to "Thickness" which is pre-named the parameter that the sheet metal file uses to determine the metal thickness.

Worked like a dream!  Just got to try and work out how to unfold the darned thing!  (and it does look like a pringle!)

Message 10 of 15

@Mark.Lancaster wrote:

I will not comment on your highlighting but are you modeling "Pringles" (chips) now?  Smiley Very Happy 

That was supposed to be melba toast. Smiley Wink I'm doing a Chex-Mix assembly for the weekend. Smiley Tongue

Message 11 of 15
PaulMunford

Hi agordon. Inventor may not be able to unfold the part if is made up of undevelopable geometry.

I wrote an explanation in this post that you might find helpful?

https://graitec.co.uk/blog/entry/autodesk-inventor-sheet-metal-flat-pattern-success-every-time

Autodesk Marketing Manager D&M
Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my company.
Linkedin Twitter Instagram Facebook Pinterest

Message 12 of 15
agordon
in reply to: PaulMunford

@PaulMunford wrote:
Hi agordon. Inventor may not be able to unfold the part if is made up of undevelopable geometry.

I wrote an explanation in this post that you might find helpful?

https://graitec.co.uk/blog/entry/autodesk-inventor-sheet-metal-flat-pattern-success-every-time

Paul,  you are correct, the shape will not develop into a flat pattern, and after reading your blog (VERY helpful!), I think it fails because it is a partial sphere and so is curved in all directions and fails the straight edge rule.

I'm guessing that creating a sketch of the flange in inventor (it has a large concentric hole in finished form), and then (somehow?) projecting that sketch to the surface of the object drawn might have more success?  Or am I back in the weeds of a complex curved surface?

Message 13 of 15
PaulMunford

Hi agordon,

I tried to extrapolate the curvature from your file, but it so far away from any of the origin planes as to be unusable 😞 (Perhaps if you moved it in Rhino and re exported?

Anyway - I have built a part in Inventor that is similar, take a look at how it's built - I hope that you find it useful?

Thanks,

Paul

Double curved Sheet metal.png

Double curved Sheet metal - Result.png

Message 14 of 15
agordon
in reply to: PaulMunford

Hi Paul, out of the office for a few days, so unable to thank you for your efforts.  I really appreciate you taking the time to show how a domed surface can be created in Inventor.  I'm learning alot about the SM commands: I now know a little more about the Contour flange one!

My goal with this post was to see if I could develop a flat pattern that could then be CNC machined.  I realize after posting a followup targeting the flat pattern issue that any shape with curves in more than one direction cannot be "flattened"!  Back to the drawing board ... perhaps, where I know how to do this! (the "orange peel" development process).

Message 15 of 15
PaulMunford

No worries. Keep at it. Keep focused on the end goal, and let us know if we can be any help : D

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report