Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfer 3D model from one machine to another

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
433 Views, 5 Replies

Transfer 3D model from one machine to another

Hi

I am using Autodesk Inventor professional 2016 (Stand alone License) & my company is upgrading the machine. That means, the license from my old machine to be reinstalled to the new machine.

I have the assembly files created through parts, vendor data & the content center files.

My question is, how to transfer the data from one machine to another machine without losing any data including the content center files.

My colleague is using the another stand alone license. When i copied the complete model including all the associated files from my machine to his machine, i lost the content center files.

I will appreciate, if somebody has a solution to this with step by step method.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
mdavis22569
in reply to: Anonymous

Are you not using a PLM or Vault?  I would consider at least doing the Vault Basic (included with Inventor for Free) 

If not ...

Inventor Pack and Go is the way I would do it...

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor-products/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2016...

Google search:

Video of how to do it:
https://www.google.com/search?q=inventor+pack+and+go+tutorial&source=lnms&tbm=vid&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjW...

https://www.google.com/search?

q=inventor+pack+and+go+tutorial&oq=Inventor+pack+and+go&aqs=chrome.2.69i57j0l5.8111j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 3 of 6
Mark.Lancaster

@Anonymous

Welcome to the community...

To resolve this, copy all of your placed content center information to a shared location and then copy it down to the new machine.  "Placed Content Center" location means the location as defined under the Tools/Application Options/File tab or under the folder options of your active Inventor project file.

1-8-2017 8-59-44 AM.jpg1-8-2017 8-59-20 AM.jpg

If the folder options/content center files states default like the above image, then content center files are placed as indicated in the location defined under Application Options.  Copy your CC files/folders to the location defined on the new machine.

Just a little history so you understand what's happening.  When a content center component is placed into an assembly, the next time the assembly is opened, Inventor always looks to the location defined in the images above.  So when you copied your model over to the new machine its looking at that location and doesn't look back into the content center itself.  In addition if you're sharing models between both of you, I would suggest setting up a shared location for this and no matter who creates the content center component, the location is the same for each user.

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: mdavis22569

Hi

I will try the pack & go option & will update the status.

I have Vault basic installed in my system but while signing in, it is showing an error as "Vault basic 2016 could not find the data management services on localhost".

Message 5 of 6
mdavis22569

for your vault error:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/vault-products/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles...

Have you used Vault though?   Do you have the server side set up?

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

Due to some health issues i am on leave since last week. I will be in the office by next week only. I wll have to try the options suggested in this thread. I will update the status when i will reach the office.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report