Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Top Level Assembly View Representation Calling up other View Representations

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
586 Views, 2 Replies

Top Level Assembly View Representation Calling up other View Representations

I'd like to run a scenario by everyone, which seems to work but doesn't seem to match Inventor's desired structure of things.

Let's say we have a top level assembly, "FirstAssy.asm", that calls up multiple assemblies such as "SecondAssy.asm", who in turn call up parts such as "Parts.ipt"

- SecondAssy.asm has multiple view representations that each turn on/off the visibility of multiple Parts.ipt to show different configurations of SecondAssy shown on drawings

- FirstAssy.asm has the same named view representations that each call up a particular view representation of SecondAssy to provide different configurations of FirstAssy.

When in FirstAssy I have been doing this by creating the named view rep, then Right Clicking on SecondAssy.asm -> selecting Representation... -> then under the "Design View Representation" pull down changing the view rep from Master to the desired named view rep in SecondAssy.asm.  

This seems logical to me, and seems to work.  However, if you were to right click on SecondAssy again and go to Representation... the Design View Representation still shows as Master, even though it's not.  This tells me that this Design View rep hierarchy would not be clear to someone not familiar with FirstAssy.asm.

The second thing that leads me to believe that I might be bypassing Inventor's desired flow of things is that when looking under the Model Tree for FirstAssy.asm, and then driving down into the Relationships for SecondAssy.asm, you are unable to view or change the Design View Representation here.  Under Relationships the only reps listed are Position and Level of Detail.

So I'm wondering if my scenario is a solid drafting practice and Inventor is just being a bit clunky about it, or am I bypassing Inventor's intended representation rules and FirstAssy's Design View Representation should be calling up a Level of Detail with SecondAssy instead?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
-niels-
in reply to: Anonymous

Sounds like you don't have the "associative" checkbox checked for your sub-assemblies:

afbeelding.png

Having that checked should make you see the viewreps when expanding them in the assembly browser.

It should also keep it set to the selected view rep when you review the representation settings again.

(instead of reverting to "master")

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: -niels-

Thank you!  I must admit that I'm surprised that Associative is not the default setting.

- Jason

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report