Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tolerances with Unit String and "First Above Landing Line"

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
donniemann
404 Views, 2 Replies

Tolerances with Unit String and "First Above Landing Line"

I'm trying to display Tolerance on a drawing dimension, but also need to show the Unit String and have the "First Above Landing Line" turned on so that added Text can be placed below the line.

Individually these options are all functioning as expected, but when I enable them together the result places the Dimension value across the Dimension line.

It seems to do this for all Tolerance styles except "Reference", "Limits - Linear", "MAX", "MIN", and "Limits.Fits - Linear".  In other words, it affects all styles where some values are stacked, as well as Basic and Symmetric.

Turning the Unit String off makes it appear correctly, as does using the "All Above Landing Line" option, but I can't see any reason why it shouldn't be possible to use the combination.

(This is in Inventor 2016, with all current patches etc.)

Thanks,

Donnie.

Tolerance Display.PNG

kelly.young has embedded your image for clarity.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
johnsonshiue
in reply to: donniemann

Hi Donnie,

I could be wrong but I think there is a way to avoid the behavior. You just need to change Linear Orientation from Parallel to Inline. Go to Styles Editor -> Dimension -> select the style -> Text -> Orientation -> Linear -> change Parallel to Inline.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 3
donniemann
in reply to: johnsonshiue

@johnsonshiue wrote:

Hi Donnie,

I could be wrong but I think there is a way to avoid the behavior. You just need to change Linear Orientation from Parallel to Inline. Go to Styles Editor -> Dimension -> select the style -> Text -> Orientation -> Linear -> change Parallel to Inline.

Many thanks!

Close, but not exactly what we're looking for.

That method splits the Dimension Line, which is cleaner that having it pass through the middle of the text.  But it doesn't achieve a full Dimension Line, with the values above the line  and any added text below it, as per ISO 129-1.

A more acceptable workaround, which we're using for now, is to leave the Unit String turned off, and manually add it as Text.  Not ideal, but it keeps the Drawing visually acceptable, for now!

Thanks,

Donnie.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report