Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convert Mesh to Solid Body Inventor not Responding

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
1368 Views, 8 Replies

Convert Mesh to Solid Body Inventor not Responding

I'm trying to convert an STL file into a solid body with the mesh enabler add-in. It's a detailed object with many facets when imported in as a mesh. When I try to use the 'convert to solid body' option, inventor crashes, as in 'not responding'.

Here's a link to the file https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2755765

Here's the task monitor data for when the crash is happening which seems to suggest that there is something wrong with Inventor rather than my computer (I've also tried to do this on a more powerful gaming laptop with the same result.

Inventor not reponding.PNG

Any ideas how I can get this object in to Inventor without the crash, or why it's crashing and what I should do about it?

Cheers,

Dan

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Xun.Zhang
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Dan,

I don't see the crash comes to me in my end, is there anything different between us?

The convert process just takes 1 minute in my end.

Untitled9.png

Check out the enclosed file and hope you like it. Man Happy

Xun
Message 3 of 9
Xun.Zhang

@Anonymous,

The file size is a bit larger, please download via link below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cc26qxx8nc9h91v/ella_oc_a015R.ipt?dl=0

Hope it helps!

Xun
Message 4 of 9
johnsonshiue

Hi! Like Xun's file shows, it is doable in Inventor as long as you have enough RAM and SWAP space. However, the part is too complicated than necessary.

Inventor at the moment has not have comprehensive tool set to tackle mesh modeling. Even if you can convert the mesh faces to Brep body, the resultant part cannot be easily edited or modeled further. You may want to simplify the mesh using Mesh Mixer (free download at www.meshmixer.com). Or, you can use the mesh as a reference to rebuild the geometry from scratch.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: Xun.Zhang

Thanks Xun! I downloaded your file, but my version of inventor won't open it. I'm assuming you are running the very latest version since you're on the Inventor QA team, yes?  (I'm having trouble updating mine) Also how much RAM and SWAP space do you have on your rig? (I have 16 GB RAM, but I'm not sure about SWAP space I'll look it)

Cheers,

Dan

Research Assistant

ACROSS 

Message 6 of 9
Xun.Zhang

Hello Dan,

Which version are your working on right now?

Thanks!

Xun
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: Xun.Zhang

2018 Professional 64-bit build 112

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous

Inventor Error re Ocarina ipt.PNGThis is the error message I get, but when I tried to update inventor it also came up with an error message

Message 9 of 9
Xun.Zhang

Hello Dan,

The massage just mention that the file was created in a newer version.

Please download the 2018 version from below link.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/glw1hjrb2nyaof1/2018version.ipt?dl=0

Hope it helps!

Xun

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report