Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tolerance feature precision for MBD, Hole feature

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
mbouthillier
400 Views, 7 Replies

Tolerance feature precision for MBD, Hole feature

I am trying to add tolerance features on a part in order to make a MBD 3D drawing. I need to tolerance the position of 2 holes (1.6535 M5) using the "Tolerance feature". Unfortunately, even thought the dimension has a 4-digits precision, the tolerance feature only display 2 digits... When I try to go in "Edit tolerance feature", I do not have the option to change the precision. Strangely enough, when adding a tolerance feature on a hole made using an EXTRUDE (instead of the HOLE command), the number of digits matches display properly (see 1.378 H8 dimension).
Is there anyway to correct the precision of a tolerance feature on a hole???

(I will NOT use a workaround of replacing my holes with round extrusions.)

I am on Autodesk Inventor Professional 2021, 64 bit Edition
Build: 353, Release: 2021-0.3-02

Thank you

mbouthillier_0-1646841704806.png

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
CGBenner
in reply to: mbouthillier

@mbouthillier 

Hi... I'm confused.  Your image shows a 4 place precision on the tolerances, and in the settings dialog.  Is that from the extruded hole versus the actual "hole"?

Chris Benner
Industry Community Manager – Design & Manufacturing

If a response answers your question, please use  ACCEPT SOLUTION  to assist other users later.

Also be generous with Likes!  Thank you and enjoy!

Become an Autodesk Fusion Insider
Inventor/Beta Feedback Project
Message 3 of 8
mbouthillier
in reply to: CGBenner

Hi @CGBenner 

I displayed the 1.6535 dia hole and promoted it to show how in the hole definition, I specified 4 digits. My issue is when I want to create a Tolerance feature to define GD&T for that hole (0.001 position tolerance with datum A & B). In that feature, the 1.6535 diameter loses 2 digits (even thought the diameter tolerances are still showing 4 digits...) and I have no way of correcting it.

When doing GD&T on an EXTRUDE feature (such as 1.3780 hole), Inventor gives you the control on the number of digits for the dimension. That option is non-existent for HOLES!

Thank you

Message 4 of 8
CGBenner

@mbouthillier 

Ah!! Thank you for clarifying.  My mind looked right past the GD&T!  Sorry.

Chris Benner

If a response answers your question, please use  ACCEPT SOLUTION  to assist other users later.

Message 5 of 8
CGBenner

@mbouthillier 

I'm not seeing any place to set the units or tolerance precision for these.  Even in the styles editor (and this seems odd), I can set the precision of alternate units if they are enabled, but not the primary units.  @johnsonshiue am I missing something?

CGBenner_0-1646854755350.png

Chris Benner

Message 6 of 8
johnsonshiue
in reply to: CGBenner

Hi Folks,

The workflow isn't available yet. It has been track as INVGEN-19945. It is on our radar, but at the moment we don't know when it will be implemented.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 7 of 8
mbouthillier

Alright, thank you for your time! I guess I will have to wait for that....

Message 8 of 8
mbouthillier

I am not going to lie, not being able to control precision of dimensions in feature like this is a bit of a disappointment... This is the kind of issue that can definitely affect the functionality of a part when it's being manufactured!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report