Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Threads

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
mgrenier1
387 Views, 3 Replies

Threads

I need to add some threads to Inventor's thread.xls file and I'm wondering something, it's not really a question about Inventor but I'm not sure where to ask it.

What makes a thread UN-UNC-UNF-UNEF-UNS? I get that a UNF thread will have more TPI than a UNC one of the same diameter but where to draw the line between the two?

Every chart I found online stops at 4 inches and so does the one in the machinery handbook

Wikipedia doesn't really help much

I found a calculator on Engineer's Edge but it lets me choose the thread designation no matter how much TPI the thread has.

I need to add 7 1/4'' and 7 1/2'' to the file and I cannot find out if it's UNF, UNC, UN or UNS.

Hope I make sense.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
swalton
in reply to: mgrenier1

I suspect that you will need to get a copy of ANSI/ASME B1.1 which defines the UN, UNC, UNF, UNS series threads.

A source is:

https://www.asme.org/codes-standards/find-codes-standards/b1-1-unified-inch-screw-threads-un-unr-thr...

My guess is that 7 1/4" and 7 1/2" threads will be one of the constant pitch UN series threads.  Maybe the 4 or 6 TPI families. 

If the ANSI standard does not go as large as the threads you want, I guess you get to design your own thread form.

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 3 of 4
NigelHay
in reply to: mgrenier1

There's a PDF version here https://pppars.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/ASME-B1.1-2019.pdf

As Swalton says, the larger sizes seem to be in the constant pitch series.

Message 4 of 4
mgrenier1
in reply to: NigelHay

Thank you very much

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report