Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sweeping Help

30 REPLIES 30
SOLVED
Message 1 of 31
LABarker
1582 Views, 30 Replies

Sweeping Help

Hello!  The company I am working for is having me take some of our older AutoCAD drawing files an make them into 3d Inventor files.  I am having trouble with this outlet.  I have tried sweeping it, sweeping half of it and lofting the other half, I just can not seem to get it to work with with the proper dimensions.   If anyone can give me any adivce at all how to get the sweep right it would be greatly appreciated.  Don't know if it matters or not but we currently still use IV2010 sp4.

Thanks a million!!!

30 REPLIES 30
Message 2 of 31
Anonymous
in reply to: LABarker

Do you have an iso views of that feature?

Message 3 of 31
LABarker
in reply to: Anonymous

Sorry, I don't.  I can provide with you a side view, but thats about it.

Message 4 of 31
Anonymous

Hi,

I've used the following workflow for 200 litre drums when coming across from 2D CAD to 3D Inventor;

With a profile such as your attachment, I would tend to strip out all dimensions and hatches and any other non-relavent features.

Next, I would then make the profile a polyline, to ensure that is an enclosed loop.

To ensure you don't overwrite the original drawing, copy this profile across to a blank autocad document.

Make sure that the 0,0 co-ordinate is at the bottom of the profile in-line with the centreline, then import into inventor within the sketch environment.

The sketch will automatically place at 0,0, so if it's complex and requires too many dimensions, you can cheat a little and just leave it.

Then I would create a revolve solid about the centreline as per the auotcad drawing.

Good luck

Message 5 of 31
LABarker

Thanks Phil for the advice!  I'll try it and see how it works!

Message 6 of 31
JDMather

I doubt Revolve by itself will solve your problem.

I prefer to recreate most stuff from scratch rather than re-use AutoCAD geometry.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 7 of 31
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

JD just the words out of my mouth

Message 8 of 31
Anonymous

I've just had another look at your scheme and I now agree with JD.

One thing that I didn't spot before was that you appear to have holes bored into the side of the part, so I assumed it was a straightforward revolve.

Sorry!

Best thing to do is create from scratch, pattern the spigots (unknown from our POV with just a section), add radii where necessary, then finish with a swept cut for the holes.

Message 9 of 31
LABarker

I dont like do that either, but I figured it would hurt to try.  Just so you know it didnt work anyways.  I could always just force to dwg to read the proper dimensions, but i dont like cheating that way either.   Was just really hoping that someone would be able to help me.  The problem that I keep coming arcoss is the radius of the top arc.  If i make what it should be the radius is to small and obviously it fails.

Message 10 of 31
JDMather

I'll give it a go when I get a chance.

I usually ask that you attach what you have attempted so far before I put significant work into someone else's part.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 11 of 31
Anonymous

Has the part been manufactured before?

Perhaps it's impossible to machine the casting or the solid?

I presume you are referring to the 1/8" rad which adjoins to the largest rad?

In theory this looks like it will work...

Have you tried modelling the part pre-radii?

Message 12 of 31
LABarker

JD that would be awesome!  However, I'm not really sure that I'm aloud to do that because of confidentuality reasons.  But if there is anyway at all I would be able to send it directly to you with out posting to this site I probably could get away with it. 

Message 13 of 31
LABarker

Yes the part has already been in production.  My company just wants to get with the times I guess.  More and more customers are asking for Inventor 3D models or we are trying to get the most demanding ones in 3D.

Message 14 of 31
JDMather

Are you familiar with the Variable Radius Fillet tool?
Loft?

Sweep?

Face Fillets?

jmather_at_pct_dot_edu

Message 15 of 31
LABarker

I've tried lofting, and sweeping.  I also tried bending it.  I'm not to familiar with varible radius fillet or face fillet.  I know your probably going to hate me for this, but do not have professional training (I dont want to say self-taught but I guess thats what it is).  So everthing that I do know I know that I'm probably only scratching at the service of what Inventor is capable of, but where I'm at they think that if you know one kind of software you know them all.  Most of the time I use this group and YouTube to get help when I need it.  I just want to say that I think that this site is extremely helpful and don't know where I would be if it wasn't here!  (dont mean to brown nose it, but thats how I feel) 

Message 16 of 31
rdyson

JD,

Just a heads up, the OP is still on 2010. I only go back to 2012.

PDSU 2016
Message 17 of 31
mpatchus
in reply to: rdyson

Only one fillet I can't get in there.... the inside 1/8" one shown in the image.

I can attach a STEP or SAT file if you want it.

LisaB880.JPG

Mike Patchus - Lancaster SC

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂
Message 18 of 31
LABarker
in reply to: mpatchus

mpatchus a step file would be great!  Thank you so much!

Message 19 of 31
mpatchus

Here ya go  I included a STEP & a SAT.

You'll have to modify to include the details that weren't visible on your sketch.

Mike

Mike Patchus - Lancaster SC

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂
Message 20 of 31
LABarker
in reply to: mpatchus

Thanks Mike!! I didn't expect you to even do that much of it.  I was able to get all of it but the top arc. Thanks a million!! 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report