Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sweeping Help

30 REPLIES 30
SOLVED
Message 1 of 31
LABarker
1618 Views, 30 Replies

Sweeping Help

Hello!  The company I am working for is having me take some of our older AutoCAD drawing files an make them into 3d Inventor files.  I am having trouble with this outlet.  I have tried sweeping it, sweeping half of it and lofting the other half, I just can not seem to get it to work with with the proper dimensions.   If anyone can give me any adivce at all how to get the sweep right it would be greatly appreciated.  Don't know if it matters or not but we currently still use IV2010 sp4.

Thanks a million!!!

30 REPLIES 30
Message 21 of 31
JDMather
in reply to: LABarker

My interpretation of the drawing is a bit different in these areas.

Can you post a picture of the actual part?

Interpretation.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 22 of 31
mpatchus
in reply to: JDMather

I agree, I looked at that area several times ... an actual photo of the part would clear some areas up.

Mike Patchus - Lancaster SC

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂
Message 23 of 31
LABarker

Guess I was a little premature for accepting Mikes sulotion.  JD is correct.  The sipgot isn't completely round at the top.  I wish that i had something else to give you.  About all I do have is the part that I made that has an incorrect radius at the top.  I'm just worried about breaking confidentiality rules or else I would post it.

Message 24 of 31
LABarker

Don't know how well this is but this is about all I have for it.

Message 25 of 31
JDMather

I sat in a meeting doodling a solution and don't think it will not be that hard (but I haven't modeled it yet).  The key in my doodle attempt is to break it down into primitive geometries (only the outside - forget the inside for now).

Don't think it will require a loft.

Outside is revolves and an extrude blended with some fillets.

Inside is revolves and a sweep blended with some fillets.

It might be some time till I can give it a modeling attempt.
I will try to present in such a way that you can repeat the steps (I am using 2012 and 2013).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 26 of 31
LABarker

JD Thank you for spending time on this!  I can not express how greatful I am that you are helping me.  There is no rush, so take you time.  And once again Thank You!

Message 27 of 31
mpatchus

Spent a little time playing around with it over the weekend.

It's not 100%, but its pretty close.

I've attached a SAT file.

LisaB8880a.jpg

LisaB880.JPG

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂
Message 28 of 31
LABarker
in reply to: mpatchus

Thanks!  Just on more question though.  I'm still trying to get used to inventor.  When I import the .sat file into inventor I only get a "Base1" I don't get any features in the browser to show me how exactly you where able to accomplish this.  Am I doing something wrong?

Message 29 of 31
mrattray

.SAT files, like all other non-native formats, don't carry any feature history. The best you'll be able to get is to have him post a screen capture of his model browser.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 30 of 31
mpatchus
in reply to: mrattray

Here's a step-by-step MS Word document (in PDF format) with screen caps on the process I used to build the model.

Hope this helps explain it.

Inventor 2025 Beta

Message 31 of 31
LABarker

THANK YOU SOOOOOOOO MUCH!!!  I ready do appreciate it.  You helped me out a ton and there are not words to express how thankful I am.  Also thanks for taken the time to work on it, I really was hoping that it wouldnt of taken up as much time as it did. A million thank yous!!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report