Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sweep Error

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
14226SFKNC
239 Views, 5 Replies

Sweep Error

Relatively new to inventor apart from the basics and i have been trying to push myself with something a bit more complicated for me. Is this sweep just giving an error because of how tight the outside corner is, or is there a different reason as to why it doesn't want to cut this sweep out? Is there a better way to be cutting this 2 distance fillet?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
CGBenner
in reply to: 14226SFKNC

@14226SFKNC 

Welcome to the forum!  Thank you for sharing your file, can you tell us what version of Inventor you used on this?

Chris Benner
Industry Community Manager – Design & Manufacturing

If a response answers your question, please use  ACCEPT SOLUTION  to assist other users later.

Also be generous with Likes!  Thank you and enjoy!

Become an Autodesk Fusion Insider
Inventor/Beta Feedback Project
Message 3 of 6
johnsonshiue

Hi! I could be wrong but I don't think the Sweep feature will generate your intended geometry. Sweep is an operation moving a profile/volume along a path (the profile/volume has to stay normal to the path). In your part, the path is very complicated and the profile has to go through drastic twist and turn, just as a car moves in such path. It would hit a dead end fairly quickly.

I suspect you just want to have a smooth transition, kind of like a chess piece. This can be done fairly easily in Inventor. Basically, you need to cut the body in half and revolve the profile to create a new body. Then use Direct Edit -> Non-Uniform Scale to flatten the body a bit. Lastly join them back together.

Please take a look at the attached part.

Scaled.png

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 4 of 6
14226SFKNC
in reply to: johnsonshiue

This is just about exactly what I want! This part when finished will be bent on itself to make a ring, with this curved face being the interior. So the intended result would be this, but with the wider parts being level with the long neck. Not sure if i’m explaining that well. Basically if the entire piece could follow the same arc that has been created on the neck so it is flush.

Message 5 of 6
blandb
in reply to: johnsonshiue

That is why @johnsonshiue is a wizard lol... I would of never of thought to revolve and then non-uniform scale...Mind blown lol

Autodesk Certified Professional
Message 6 of 6
CGBenner

@14226SFKNC Did the information provided answer your question? If so, please use Accept Solution so that others may find this in the future. Thank you very much!

Chris Benner
Industry Community Manager – Design & Manufacturing

If a response answers your question, please use  ACCEPT SOLUTION  to assist other users later.

Also be generous with Likes!  Thank you and enjoy!

Become an Autodesk Fusion Insider
Inventor/Beta Feedback Project

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report