Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sub-assembly automatically created

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
bclarkAETHH
344 Views, 2 Replies

Sub-assembly automatically created

Greetings all, I am new to inventor (previous Solidworks user). I cant seem to find my own answer after much searching and I suspect there is a simple answer, but I am just going in circles now.

I created an assembly on a different station in our network, then went to open it on my current station. It makes my assembly a sub-assembly and generates a top level assembly that auto names itself (AssemblyX). The (now) sub-assembly is grounded and will not allow selection of individual parts in the design design window. In Solidworks I would "dissolve sub-assembly", but that type of option isn't available.

I don't understand whats going on, or even why this would be helpful.

bclarkAETHH_0-1619280933290.png

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
SBix26
in reply to: bclarkAETHH

It looks to me as if you are working with two different releases of Inventor.  The icons showing in the model browser are indicating that the assembly you created on the other computer is being used only as a reference on your computer, instead of being opened.  This is because the other computer is a newer version of Inventor.  Inventor AnyCAD allows referencing of newer Inventor files, but they cannot be opened or edited.

I expect this would be a similar problem for Solidworks.

Sam B
Inventor Pro 2022 | Windows 10 Home 2004
LinkedIn

Message 3 of 3
bclarkAETHH
in reply to: bclarkAETHH

You are absolutely correct SBix26! I definitely feel a little stupid now.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report