Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stress results

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
admaiora
280 Views, 1 Reply

Stress results

Hi,

I need your ideas, I don't understand this behavior.

The case is very simple:

d1.jpg

A 200x60x10 steel plate (or whatever)

Linear Static with Inventor, detect remove Rigid mode activated and frictionless constraint to both edges (if shell analysis) faces (if solid analysis)

This is the result (for sheel and solid analysis)

I don't like the stress distribution (or I don't understand it..)

rt.jpg

I would expect more something like that (done in Nastran with INERTIALRELIEF=AUTO)

better , more uniform.

rttt.jpg

Can you help me to understand this?

And what the heck is this tension?

cr.jpg

Thanks!!

(File atatched)

Admaiora
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
imajar
in reply to: admaiora

Hi @admaiora,

Firstly, Let me say that this case should have uniform stress across the entire thing (this is a textbook problem of uniform tension and should have uniform stress of 100 MPa everywhere), not a changing stress from 0 to 100 like the Inventor Nastran plot shows

The Nastran result is incorrect.  The inertial relief option is intended for structures that are floating in space, such as airplanes, boat, and spacecraft.  It is not meant to be used to fully constrain a structure that would normally be constrained.  You need to fully constrain the object yourself, so for example, on the short side constrain Tx, Ty, Ry, and Rz.  And on the long side constrain Ty, Tz, Rx, and Ry.  Set the Inertial Relief back to the default setting and rerun, and you will get the correct result of 100 MPa.

As for the inventor analysis, I did see the same weird behavior as you.  Two comments:

Firstly, my the scale on my plot was from 99.953 to 100.074 MPa, if I reset the plot to go from 0 to 100 MPa, the result looked correct.  Is this the same for you?

Capture.JPGCapture1.JPG

Secondly:  Personally, I would avoid the automatically remove rigid body motion option whenever possible.  

Aaron Jarrett, PE
Inventor 2019 | i7-6700K 64GB NVidia M4000
LinkedIn

Life is Good.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report