Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stress Analysis on Anti Roll Bar

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
CherylR001
718 Views, 4 Replies

Stress Analysis on Anti Roll Bar

I'm looking for some help on doing some stress analysis on a Anti Roll Bar and I was wondering if it was even possible.

I have attached a screen shot of the assembly and another of where I want it to displace to. I need to displace it to where the transparent bar is. The 2 horseshoe shaped brackets are static as is the opposite end to the yellow surfaces. The turning axis of the ARB is the center axis of the bush. I need to find a way to apply force to displace the yellow surfaces tangentially to the axis of the bush. 

Thanks

Cheryl

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
j.palmeL29YX
in reply to: CherylR001

I hope I understand your issue right.

In most cases we add forces and moments and want to know stresses and displacements. This is shown in the first half of >>this video<< . A force of 500 N results in a displaceent of about 13 mm.

But we can do it also the other way, shown in the video starting at about 1:33.

We add a fixed constraint with a given displacement of 13 mm. After running the simulation we find a reaction force at this "moved" constraint - about 500 N.

I hope you can use this priciple also in your project.

Jürgen Palme
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
johnsonshiue
in reply to: CherylR001

Hi Cheryl,

For Inventor FEA, you can apply loads and get the deformation, not the other way around. I think you may need to apply force along the yellow portion of the bar, pointing downward. The exact magnitude would require some trial and error to get to the desirable deformation.

You may also want to look into Inventor NASTRAN, which can perform non-linear analysis and more.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 4 of 5
JDMather
in reply to: johnsonshiue

@johnsonshiue wrote:

For Inventor FEA, you can apply loads and get the deformation, not the other way around.

Actually, you can enter a Prescribed Displacement and get the resulting Reaction Forces as described by @j.palmeL29YX , as long as you stay within the usual rules for Inventor FEA (stay within linear elastic range, relatively small displacement, "slowly" applied load...).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 5
j.palmeL29YX
in reply to: j.palmeL29YX

Attached a fictitious example. 

For the right end I have choosen a displacement of 5 mm - after running the simulation we see a needed force of 435 N.

In a similar manner you can choose any value for the displacement, but of course the used material must have appropriate properties to bear the displacement (note the safety factor).

Jürgen Palme
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report