Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STEP files and .ipt won't open at customers site?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
976 Views, 10 Replies

STEP files and .ipt won't open at customers site?

Hi, what I've done is created an assembly, inserted a customer file originally from a .STEP file, all converted fine. Assembled and saved, shrinkwrapped it, converted the resulting .ipt to a STEP and returned to the customer, now I have a customer who says they can't open the models I've sent him, tried creating them as .IGES, even tried sending the .ipt, apparently nothing is working. We're running 2014 and they're on 2016 but I can't see that being the issue, especially from a generic format like .STEP or .IGES. I'm at a loss, so great autodesk community forum, any idea's on what's causing the issues, is it something I'm doing in creating the file, something they're doing in trying to open it or a combination of, and any ideas on how to work around the problem?

Greg

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Mark.Lancaster
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous

Welcome to the community

My first question back to this customer (or to you at this point)..  What do you mean by it doesn't open?  Any messages?  What happens? 

Is it possible to share this part here to see if the others are having an issue with it?

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 3 of 11
Cadmanto

Greg,

Welcome to the forum.

Have you tried creating a simple part and sending it back to your customer as a .stp file and see if they can open that?  This would eliminate whether it is a software version issue or a model issue.

Take a look at this link. 

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor-products/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcartic...

Do both you and the customer have all of the latest SP's and hotfixes loaded?

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 4 of 11
mdavis22569

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi, what I've done is created an assembly, inserted a customer file originally from a .STEP file, all converted fine. Assembled and saved, shrinkwrapped it, converted the resulting .ipt to a STEP and returned to the customer, now I have a customer who says they can't open the models I've sent him, tried creating them as .IGES, even tried sending the .ipt, apparently nothing is working. We're running 2014 and they're on 2016 but I can't see that being the issue, especially from a generic format like .STEP or .IGES. I'm at a loss, so great autodesk community forum, any idea's on what's causing the issues, is it something I'm doing in creating the file, something they're doing in trying to open it or a combination of, and any ideas on how to work around the problem?

Greg

You'd have to share an example ..is it just to big?

However ...if you're on 2014 and they are on 2016. Just give them the Native 2014 file and let them open/migrate it.. They are on a newer version, so they can open older versions directly in Inventor.  

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 5 of 11
mcgyvr
in reply to: mdavis22569

@mdavis22569 wrote:

However ...if you're on 2014 and they are on 2016. Just give them the Native 2014 file and let them open/migrate it.. They are on a newer version, so they can open older versions directly in Inventor.  

They stated they even gave them the ipt file and they couldn't open it..

And we are back to Marks question... "What do you mean by it doesn't open?  Any messages?  What happens? "

And scotts suggestion.. "Create a 1" cube, save as step and see if they can open it"..  Then post that cube step file here too and we can all open it too..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: Cadmanto

Just trying this, and seeing if he can open the simple models. He's reporting getting a blank screen or an error as below...

2016-09-23_14h00_59.png

I'm not comfortable posting the original file as it's the customer machine assembly and without requesting their permission I can't see a way of sharing he information without compromising their security. It's also a pretty large file, currently having to shrinkwrap, convert to .STEP and then compress the file to get them sent on a USB stick.

I've handed over the native file format for the shrinkwrap file and stull no luck, and unfortunately I can't send the original .iam, as it utilises a load of components from our library. Thank you all for the speedy responses though!

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous

100mm cube, can you guys open it?

Message 8 of 11
Mark.Lancaster

@Anonymous

That message means there's an issue with your model or its getting corrupt based on the device you are using for storage..  What happens if you do a manage/rebuild all on that model.

Update:  Cube opens no problem at my end...  Smiley Wink

Mark Lancaster

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: Mark.Lancaster

Here's a shrinkwrap assembly, is this able to be opened?

Message 10 of 11
mdavis22569
in reply to: mcgyvr

@mcgyvr wrote:

@mdavis22569 wrote:

They stated they even gave them the ipt file and they couldn't open it..

And we are back to Marks question... "What do you mean by it doesn't open?  Any messages?  What happens? "

And scotts suggestion.. "Create a 1" cube, save as step and see if they can open it"..  Then post that cube step file here too and we can all open it too..

Darn ... that means I need to read ... it's to early...lol (kidding)

However they opened for me 

2.JPG

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 11 of 11

@Anonymous

Going back over your posting..  You state you're sending this information to the customer via a USB stick and compressing it.   How are you compressing it?  I think the issue your customer is seeing is either related to the thumb drive or the compressing method being used.

Secondly how long does it take your end-customer to receive this USB stick?  I assume your company is spending "X" number of dollars to ship this..  Granted it wouldn't be much due to its size/weight..

Have you consider using A360 to do this?  Its an Autodesk Cloud based free service that allows you to upload and share information outside of your organization.   Each named account gets 5GB of storage.    IF you want to go the collaboration route then you can get Fusion Team (paid version) and collaborate with team members all over the place on certain projects.

Mark Lancaster

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report