Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some Updates Needed...

18 REPLIES 18
SOLVED
Message 1 of 19
Anonymous
632 Views, 18 Replies

Some Updates Needed...

Good Morning all,

Just wanted to put a few things out there as I'm not sure why they would have changed:

1.) Measure tool "dual units" needs toggled per part now? I work in Assemblies only, but always just had to toggle it once prior.

2.) Can't highlight measurements for Copy/Paste without getting the entire line (units and all) from the measure tool? Could before.

These are just simple little things I realize, but compounded with how many times a day I use them, they make my life difficult.

Maybe they can be added to the list of updates on the first Revision which is coming soon hopefully?

I guess the "if it aint broke, don't fix it" saying went out the window this year...

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
mcgyvr
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

Good Morning all,

Just wanted to put a few things out there as I'm not sure why they would have changed:

1.) Measure tool "dual units" needs toggled per part now? I work in Assemblies only, but always just had to toggle it once prior.

2.) Can't highlight measurements for Copy/Paste without getting the entire line (units and all) from the measure tool? Could before.

These are just simple little things I realize, but compounded with how many times a day I use them, they make my life difficult.

Maybe they can be added to the list of updates on the first Revision which is coming soon hopefully?

I guess the "if it aint broke, don't fix it" saying went out the window this year...

1)... Yep... May just be a bug.. Funny that "Precision" and "Angle Precision" stays persistent across parts yet the dual units does not..

2).. Is the unit string causing problems somewhere for you? What specifically?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
in reply to: mcgyvr

Yes, that is odd.

When I copy/paste say a linear dimension, the Units come through with it which I don't want. When copying, the whole line appears yellow, where as before you could just highlight what you wanted in blue.

Message 4 of 19
mcgyvr

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, that is odd.

When I copy/paste say a linear dimension, the Units come through with it which I don't want. When copying, the whole line appears yellow, where as before you could just highlight what you wanted in blue.

Out of curiosity why is the unit string actually a problem?

I agree it would be nice if you could cursor select what you want (and by default everything would be selected but allow you to cursor select what you want)..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 5 of 19
Anonymous

It's because I am copying/pasting in-car position coordinates onto a dog-tag that has a certain space allowed for the distance. I just have to click after and delete it every time. Not the end of the world, just annoying and unnecessary. 

Message 6 of 19
Curtis_Waguespack

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi mdbrighton_1986,

Is "this year" meaning the 2018 release?  I didn't see the version mentioned.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

Yes

Message 8 of 19
maulik_patel

Hello,

Many thanks for providing your feedback on measure tool.

About issue #1 : Measure tool "dual units" needs toggled per part now:

Starting from Inventor 2018, 'Dual unit', 'Precision' and 'Angle precision' in measure tool are persisted per document basis. So, once you set them for a document and save, Inventor will persist them for that document across the session. If you like to see same 'Dual unit', 'Precision' and 'Angle precision' in measure tool for all newly created files, modify template file with that setting.

This was implemented per an idea station request. 

About issue # 2: Can't highlight measurements for Copy/Paste without getting the entire line (units and all)pr

I will forward this request to development team.

Maulik R Patel (maulikr.patel@autodesk.com)
SQA Engineer, Inventor
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 9 of 19
Anonymous
in reply to: maulik_patel

Ok, I guess that could be a plus once I go through all of my templates and set them to dual.

Thanks for looking into the other thing!!

Message 10 of 19
Anonymous

Also, my "Predict offset and orientation" checkbox wont stay toggled on anymore when I open/close the file. Has that been changed as well?

Message 11 of 19
Anonymous

...And the "select other" options don't show up when trying to use the feature.

How is it possible that so many basic things that were fine before are so screwed up in 2018??

Inventor is too expensive and too big to have this many issues and they should be ashamed of the quality of their current product.

Message 12 of 19
johnsonshiue

Hi! "Predict Offset and Orientation" option in Assembly Constraint dialog persists within a session independent of documents. I could be wrong but I don't recall it has been changed. The 2018 behavior should be the same as earlier releases.

Regarding various UI misbehaviors, it is an unintended consequence of enhancing UI workflows. I am very sorry for the impact to the workflows you frequently use. These issues should have been found and corrected before it was released. There is no excuse. As a member of Inventor team, I sincerely apologize for any interruption these issues have caused. We are trying our best understand the issues and address them in a timely manner. These issues show the risk of impacting existing workflows was underestimated. We will thoroughly study these issues and find areas for improvement in our process. Your critiques are always welcome and they help us build a better product.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 13 of 19
Anonymous
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Thanks for the response.

The Predict Offset checkbox has always stayed checked for me from project to project (similar to the select loop in the offset tool) and isn't anymore which is why I noticed it behaving differently in the first place.

Hopefully most of these bugs are worked out soon as it does affect a users workflow.

Also, as another side note to look into; the Measure tool box needs to be extended to see the dual unit, but the margin allowed for the stretch arrows to appear is too small and sometimes requires me to hover back and forth 4-5 times before I can grab it. Again, just a tiny observation, but just something I noticed that wasn't that way before.

Thanks again!

Message 14 of 19
johnsonshiue

Hi! You are right. Indeed, the "Predict Offset and Orientation" checkbox seemed to be a document binding option. Once it is set, the option stays persistent. It is no longer binding on 2018. This is a new behavior to me. I need to work with the project team and understand this change better.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 15 of 19
mcgyvr

@Anonymous wrote:

Ok, I guess that could be a plus once I go through all of my templates and set them to dual.

Thanks for looking into the other thing!!

The big "negative" is that if you have thousands of existing files you now need to set that thousands of times potentially.. hooray!!!! Smiley Sad 

Message 16 of 19
maulik_patel

"Predict offset and orientation" option was designed to remember its 'last used' value across the session. So once you check it, it should remain checked for all files. Even restarting Inventor should not change it. This is a legacy behavior and we did not change it. I tried it at my end in Inventor 2018 but do not see any change. 

Do you see different result in Inventor 2018? 

Maulik R Patel (maulikr.patel@autodesk.com)
SQA Engineer, Inventor
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 17 of 19
Anonymous

The option used to remain checked from project to project because before I started using it 100% of the time, I would often forget to uncheck it when opening a new project.

Now even the same file doesn't remain checked when I re-open it.

I've gotten used to leaving it checked all the time which is now frustrating because I am not used to having to check it every time I open a file.

Also, unrelated, the Delete key no longer works in a 2-d sketch? I cant delete a constraint once it's highlighted red, or even lines for that matter. I have to right click and select delete. Another basic thing that slows me down.

thanks,

Message 18 of 19
mcgyvr

@Anonymous wrote:

Also, unrelated, the Delete key no longer works in a 2-d sketch? I cant delete a constraint once it's highlighted red, or even lines for that matter. I have to right click and select delete. Another basic thing that slows me down.

thanks,

Were you editing a part in the context of an assembly? Did you have caps lock on?

There is another known bug related to the delete key not working in specific cases.. That is supposedly fixed a new update (not available yet)

If I start a new sketch in a normal part (not through an assembly or whatever) I can use the delete key to delete constraints.. But others seem to be having problems in specific cases.. 

Message 19 of 19
Anonymous

It does it all the time basically.

Is there a plan to fix the BOM in a Drawing as far as it not updating after a spit? I know this glitch has been there a few years now, but wondered if anyone has brought it up..?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report