Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solid Decal on Transparent Surface

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
mark.martinezECRPT
244 Views, 6 Replies

Solid Decal on Transparent Surface

I am using Inventor 2023.  I am trying to put a decal on a transparent surface, but the decal comes out transparent as well instead of being solid.  Is there a way to make it solid like I did in Fusion 360?  This is a silk screen. See attachments.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

I think your problem may be partly due to the difference in background settings and the active lighting style.

Kacper Suchomski

EESignature

YouTube - Inventor tutorials | WWW | LinkedIn | Instagram

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Message 3 of 7

@mark.martinezECRPT 

If you can share the Inventor part here, we can look at it and give you some direction on what might work for you.

Chris Benner
Industry Community Manager – Design & Manufacturing

If a response answers your question, please use  ACCEPT SOLUTION  to assist other users later.

Also be generous with Likes!  Thank you and enjoy!

Become an Autodesk Fusion Insider
Inventor/Beta Feedback Project
Message 4 of 7
SBix26
in reply to: mark.martinezECRPT

Solid bodies are uniformly transparent/solid.  The solution is to apply the decal to a new solid body (thin extrusion the same size & shape) that has an opaque appearance.

Sam B

Inventor Pro 2023.2 | Windows 10 Home 21H2
autodesk-expert-elite-member-logo-1line-rgb-black.png

Message 5 of 7

Hi Mark,

Another low-tech way of strengthening the image is actually creating multiple Decals using the same sketch.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 6 of 7

In my experience with Inventor the decals "inherit" a lot of the physical properties of the material it's applied on. For example - if you want a matte paper label on a shiny glass bottle you will need to create separate part OR a slightly elevated surface acting as a thin label (like paper). 

I think this may be the issue here as well.  As it's just plain single-color text (or?) I'd suggest that you emboss it like 0.001 and add black color to it.

A similar issue with solution can be seen here:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-forum/decal-looking-pale/td-p/9077903

Message 7 of 7

In the real world - is that Decal a separate part with adhesive to the body.

If yes, that is how I would model it in Inventor - as a separate part assembled to the transparent component.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report