Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solid bodies how to flaten surface for print

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
lekoky
465 Views, 7 Replies

Solid bodies how to flaten surface for print

Hi. I wonder if anyone can show me how to flatten the surface of this body so I can print it out as a paper template which I would fold manually to structure the desired model. Also is there a way how I can scale up and down the finished body for the preferred size in mm? Thank you

Labels (6)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
lekoky
in reply to: lekoky

Here is attached the outcome I am hoping to get. 

Message 3 of 8
JDMather

You do not have any Bends or Rips in the part?

No thickness either?

JDMather_0-1639832923675.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 8
gmwi

This is just a section of your Octaball. Once you rotate the solids you can then add bends to where you need/want them.

Message 5 of 8
lekoky
in reply to: JDMather

Thank you. I will look at what you have done. Hopefully, I will be able to follow it from your file. I do not know much about Inventor. I only follow a youtube tutorial to create these shapes, a link below. But it does not give me an option afterwards to proceed with what is for me the final result - paper template. 

Message 6 of 8
lekoky
in reply to: gmwi

Thank you very much. Will open the file later and try to learn from what you have done.

Message 7 of 8
lekoky

Is there a simple command where I can make this ball bigger or smaller before converting it to the flatten template? Thank you

Message 8 of 8
johnsonshiue

Hi! You may use Direct Edit -> Bodies -> Scale. Or, derive it to another part and specify the scale on the derived body.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report