Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smooth transition boundary patch

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Chris_TPR
259 Views, 2 Replies

Smooth transition boundary patch

Hi.

I can't seem to find a way to infill a surface and keep the continuity of the "faces". No matter what I try with 3D sketches to provide rails etc, I cannot fill the centre of the surface to create a smooth transition in the filled area.

What I want to do, is remove the rectangular recess and add a new one with different geometry, so I just want to chop it out and start fresh with a blank surface contour.

I have attached the IPT with the surface, and the original solid that has been imported.

Below are a few examples of what I am referring to. I have tried every combination I could think of.

Chris_TPR_0-1692062657412.pngChris_TPR_1-1692062688755.pngChris_TPR_2-1692062762449.pngChris_TPR_3-1692062779986.png

Labels (1)
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
JDMather
in reply to: Chris_TPR

@Chris_TPR 

I don't think you will find an "Easy Button" solution.

I would first attempt to go into Construction Environment and Extract Loop (untrim surfaces) and then trim them up again.

JDMather_0-1692098281011.png

It looks like the same tools are available in the newer Repair Environment - but I do not have much experience with that environment.  (Unstitch and Extract Loop.)

JDMather_0-1692098481146.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 3
johnsonshiue
in reply to: Chris_TPR

Hi! Yes, I agree with JD. It is better to restore the base geometry in Repair Environment (associative) or Construction Environment (non-associative) than recreate the geometry from scratch. Boundary Patch is best to fill a gap when the base geometry isn't available.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report