Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smooth model needed for meshing

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
576 Views, 4 Replies

Smooth model needed for meshing

Dear all,

I am trying to get a CFD simulation running for a centrifugal pump. My problem with the pumpcasing is the fact that the model is totally faceted. This means that the model contains a lot of edges and small lines. This is a problem when I want to create a mesh. I already tried the CFD build in tool to remove small edges and etc. but there are still a lot of edges in my model. 

What I need is a model with smooth surfaces, but I don't know how to do this.... I dont't think that Inventor has this option, but maybe there is another way?

Please see the attached picture to clearify my problem.

Thanks in advance

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
johnsonshiue
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi! You can either try using Fillet command to smoothen the edges. Or, you simply delete individual faces and recreate them using Boundary Patch. The Patch surfaces may not be 100% exactly the same as the original faces but they should be very smooth (G2) for further consumption purpose.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hi,

Thanks for your answer. Fillet is not an option because Inventor can not make any fillet because of the geometry. The second option might be usefull, although i am not sure about this. What you see on the picture are some faces that can easily be seen from that distance. However, if I zoom in really close, you see a lot of really small faces and tiny edges (edgelength = 0.01 mm).

I also thought it might be an idea to 'scrape' some of the material by using a cutting revolve. This however is not an option because the geometry of this inner pumpshell is constantly changing if you go round (like somekind of revolving loft).

I was hoping that their might be an option to export the .ipt to some other kind of program to make a smooth model.

Thank you for your time
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous

Someone who can help me :(?
Message 5 of 5
JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:
Someone who can help me :(?

You have not attached a *.ipt file here.  I am not familiar with editing pretty (or not so pretty) pictures in Inventor.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report