Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simple sketch behaving irrationally(?)

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
Cnoj
1055 Views, 16 Replies

Simple sketch behaving irrationally(?)

Hi I've just switched to 2013SP2 (from 2010) and have come across sketch behaviour that I've never seen before.

The attached IPT has sketch geometry that refuses to have constraints added and dimensions that turn pink if any existing constraints are deleted. Oddly I can project origin planes and constrain the existing geometry to those but any attempts to constrain the two rectangles to each other fail.

I'd like to know how I can find and fix the underlying problem in the sketch.

Thanks,

Jon C.

Sketch as is:

Autodesk Inventor 2013 - [_broken sketch.ipt]_2014-09-05_10-03-20.gif

Inventor 2013/Pro SP2
SimCFD 2015 SP2
Win7-64bit
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
JDMather
in reply to: Cnoj

I am curious about how you end up sequencing to d900 in a sketch?

Are you migrating template or starting from new template?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 17
CCarreiras

Hi!

This behavior exist in other template?

I think your template file may be corrupt.

I try the file in INV2015 and i have the same issue as you.

Try to open a different template and try to do the same thing.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so, use the  Mark Solutions!  Accept as Solution or Give Kudos!Kudos - Thank you!

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 4 of 17
Anonymous

I've seen this behaviour from time to time. Not quite to the degree you're seeing, but still. I usually only see this behaviour in complex sketches though. For you to have it here and, as JD pointed out, for you to be on d900, I'd wonder if you just need a new part file. Any reason to not scrape the old one?

Message 5 of 17
Cadmanto

Is this the same part that was originally created in 2010?  If so, what happens if you start fresh and recreate it in 2013?

I have seen strange things in the past and sometime simple recreations can fix it.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 6 of 17
Cnoj
in reply to: Anonymous

It's likely that this template has been around for years and migrated through multiple versions.

I will try to recreate with a different template..

The IPT is a fresh one though, made 'in place' in an assy environment.

Inventor 2013/Pro SP2
SimCFD 2015 SP2
Win7-64bit
Message 7 of 17
JDMather

I would start with fresh templates each release - but even migrated should be starting with d0.

I would not keep using something that might have accumulated some "garbage" - start fresh.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 8 of 17
Cnoj
in reply to: JDMather

I couldn't find any templates on my machine so I used another of our default templates (these machines come pre-configured from IT with a remote template path). At least this template starts at D0.

I recreated the issue and put my steps in attached Test2.pdf

Resulting Test2.IPT also attached.

Inventor 2013/Pro SP2
SimCFD 2015 SP2
Win7-64bit
Message 9 of 17
Cnoj

OK I tried with the two 'cross part geometry projection' Application options disabled and everything worked as expected so it seems like the turn off adaptivity and delete reference steps are causing the issue.

It still seems like I should be able to fix the resultant sketches tho..
Inventor 2013/Pro SP2
SimCFD 2015 SP2
Win7-64bit
Message 10 of 17
Anonymous

I like your pdf.

It's tough to say why the adaptivity and projected geometry was causing the problem but it seems to me quite possible that they were.

My advice has been, is and always will be avoid adaptivity.

Glad you figured it out though.

Take care.

Message 11 of 17
Cnoj

Well, I'd still like to know if/how I can fix the misbehaving sketch.
Inventor 2013/Pro SP2
SimCFD 2015 SP2
Win7-64bit
Message 12 of 17
Anonymous

In this case, I don't see a way to fix it. Seems like more of a bug than a user error. It's as though when you projected and then deleted the referenced geometry, some piece of it stayed but doesn't become apparent/problematic until you try to constrain the two boxes together. If it is a bug, I will have a very difficult time explaining it lol.

If you run in to something like this again, I'd start the part over and go about it differently.

I don't believe there is a way to correct the behaviour with the same geometry.

Message 13 of 17
4donwan4

I read the posts to this thread and I would agree with the many who feel the file is corrupted. Can't give you any explaination as to why this might have happened. If the project files workspace was pointint to network drive its possible it may have been corrupted saving to the network drive. Just a possible example.

Regards,

Don

Message 14 of 17
Cnoj
in reply to: 4donwan4

I finally found the default (as shipped with inventor) templates and recreated the issue using all new part, assy and project files and a different PC.

Inventor 2013/Pro SP2
SimCFD 2015 SP2
Win7-64bit
Message 15 of 17
johnsonshiue

Hi! The behavior is not right. It does look like constraint corruption issue. Are you able to reproduce it from scratch? If yes, could you show me the steps?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 16 of 17
Cnoj
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Sure, here's exactly what I just tried. Pretty much the same as in the PDF posted..

With both App. Options>Sketch>Cross part geometry projection options checked:

-Create two new IPTs, just blocks with two holes in each.

-Put them in a new IAM with hole'd surfaces constrained flush.

-Create In-Place Component (I left 'Constrain sketch..' checked) 

-Project the geometry of the four holes into the sketch in this new part.

-Finish sketch

-Return 

-Turn off adaptivity in new part and it's sketch.

-Open new part

-Edit the sketch and draw rectangles using the projected circles as corner points.

-Delete the references in the browser tree under the sketch branch to remove the circles.

-You should now have 2 misbehaving rectangles in the sketch.

Rectangles after being dragged around a bit:

Autodesk Inventor 2013 - [Assembly1.iam]_2014-09-09_18-32-05.gif

Inventor 2013/Pro SP2
SimCFD 2015 SP2
Win7-64bit
Message 17 of 17
johnsonshiue

Hi! This is a great catch! The workflow you demonstrates here confirms my suspicion that some reference flag was not cleared out properly after the source geometry is deleted. I am able to reproduce the behavior now. I am sending it to development for further review.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report