Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Show / Hide bodies while editing a sketch

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
JRDesign123
378 Views, 7 Replies

Show / Hide bodies while editing a sketch

Hi, when I'm editing a sketch I often find the need to hide or show certain bodies, this seems to be impossible, since the "visibility" option is disabled when in "edit sketch" mode. do I really have to close the sketch, hide the body, and then go into edit again?

JRDesign123_0-1687285078004.png

FWIW in Fusion360 this is absolutely no problem?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Select solid body and click Alt+V.
This works on active sketch.

Kacper Suchomski

EESignature

YouTube - Inventor tutorials | WWW | LinkedIn | Instagram

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Message 3 of 8

I'm not sure what you mean by "this works on active sketch" 

My Problem is that I cant toggle visibility, neither by the Context Menu (as shown in the screenshot) nor by using alt + v. 

I have to exit sketch editing mode, wait for everything to recompute (which can take a long time), make the body visible or invisible and then go back into the sketch, which is quite annoying.

Message 4 of 8
JDMather
in reply to: JRDesign123

@JRDesign123 

This is a problem when you have multiple bodies and the sketch you are editing is not the last item in history.

I run into this issue all the time.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 8

@JDMather

Do these issues affect all solids or just those created after the currently edited sketch?

It's normal that you can't see (and, for example, project edges) a solid that doesn't yet exist (in the sense of the currently edited sketch). It would be time travel and looping.

Kacper Suchomski

EESignature

YouTube - Inventor tutorials | WWW | LinkedIn | Instagram

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Message 6 of 8
JDMather
in reply to: kacper.suchomski

@kacper.suchomski 

Create several solid bodies.

Now create a sketch (on origin plane - not dependent on any of the solid bodies or previous sketches).

Finish sketch.

Right click Edit Sketch that last sketch.

Can select Visibility of previous bodies.

Finish sketch.

Drag the sketch to somewhere in the middle of the tree.

Edit Sketch.

Can't select Visibility of earlier bodies in the history tree.

At least that was the result of my quick test.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 7 of 8
JRDesign123
in reply to: JDMather

I think you are correct, I didn't even realize that sometimes I can change the visibility of bodies while I'm in sketch mode. 

I'm not sure I understand why this is happening, is this intended to be like this, I fail to see the point. 

Is there are a workaround for this, or am I maybe just going about this the wrong way, I'm quite new to Inventor, and quite confused about a lot of things. 

Message 8 of 8

I do realize that you can't go back to edit a sketch and then reference features from the future. The Problem here is that you can't change visibility for Bodies that have been created before the sketch either.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report