Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sheet metal flange - Distance to bend line

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
hshorst
654 Views, 4 Replies

Sheet metal flange - Distance to bend line

Hi all,

I'm doing a lot of sheet metal work for a customer and they would like their bend lines at even distances from the edge.  I can do this by using the fold option, but in most cases the flange command is easier/faster.  Unfortunately with the flange command I have no way of specifying the distance to the bend line.  The only way I've found is to manually adjust the height of the flange to account for the K-factor.

If I could set the height datum to bend line in the flange command this would be really useful.

Anyone else found a better way to do this?

Thanks,

Steve

snip1.PNG          snip2.PNG

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
YannickEnrico
in reply to: hshorst

Using a flange, it'll always come down to the K-factor, since a flange is calculated based on how it should be when it's finished

Fold, however, is based on the flat pattern, and you ask inventor to tell you how it looks based on that flat pattern with that K-factor. 

_______________________________________________________________________________________
Intel Core i9-14900KF
64 GB DDR5 6000 MHz
2TB WD_BLACK
RTX A4000
------------------------------
Inventor 2024 Professional
Message 3 of 5
mcgyvr

Why do they care more about the flat pattern bend line dimensions vs final as formed dimensions?

Seems silly.. The final dimensions should be whats important and whatever the bend line distances are is just what they need to be to achieve the proper formed dimensions..

If the don't care about the final formed dimensions then adjust the flange length.. Thats the only real option.. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: mcgyvr

Exactly what I was also thinking 🙂

Shops that I worked with were only intrested in the drawing of the final product for quality check and used the flat DXF (WITH bendlines) for production.

Alex

Message 5 of 5
hshorst

I guess they are an old school shop.  They set their fences on the press brake manually and it's a lot easier for the guys on the shop floor to remember and type in round numbers.

Thanks,

Steve

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report