Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Set the position of joint origin in standard joints creation (Inventor Dynamic Simulation environment)

0 REPLIES 0
Message 1 of 1
jesus.asenjo
295 Views, 0 Replies

Set the position of joint origin in standard joints creation (Inventor Dynamic Simulation environment)

How do you set the origins in the creation of standard joints in Inventor Dynamic Simulation environment wherever you want?

In my example I have a cylindrical tube (green) sliding inside a square section tube (orange), it will be a sliding controlled by a motor. I guess that the appropriate joint in that case would be a prismatic joint or a cylindrical joint. My issue is that the parts are placed in the assembly aligned, in the right starting position, in a way that the origin point of both tubes is not matching.

jesusasenjo_9-1645788611565.png

When I am setting the joint, I get to choose in the menu where do I want to place the origin of the joint and the direction of each part's axis. I cannot select arbitrary points, only certain ones in edges, corners or circle centres. When I click Apply the origin points in both parts align, one part moves to match the origin and axis configuration of the other, and I lose the popper original alignment.

jesusasenjo_7-1645787924342.png

I want to create the joint without parts moving because of the origin alignment, either having them stay where they are automatically or being able to select the joint origin myself, even if it's in a position not matching one of the part's features.

jesusasenjo_0-1645787681586.png

I have tried by setting construction axis and points, but they are of no use when selecting the joint origin, they have limitations, I cannot select an origin somewhere outside the part’s surface.

I have noticed this issue only happens when creating the joint manually, “Insert joint”, with the automatic conversion of constraints into joints deactivated. When the joint is created automatically based on a constraint, all parts stay in place and the joint behaves adequately. I am not able to use the automatic conversion in my model as it is a complex one where I only need to simulate a small part of it, converting all constraints into joins creates a lot of trouble with degrees of freedom. I’d rather create the joints manually.

You'll find attached a copy of the assembly, it's not the complete complex model, but just a test one I've been using. Thank you for any suggestion you have.

0 REPLIES 0

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report