Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Secondary Detailing of IFC file in Inventor

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
luke_twigtAMT85
334 Views, 6 Replies

Secondary Detailing of IFC file in Inventor

Hi all,

Would anyone happen to know the correct workflow for secondary detailing an IFC file in Inventor? 

I am currently designing framework using Advance Steel 2025 and will export this into Inventor 2025 for assembling and detailing items such as internal panel work etc. I have an array of specific folded sheet metal fixings, hence the transition to Inventor. All major connections will be designed in Advance Steel and exported to Inventor in the IFC file. 

I've seen that I can edit individual beams/ columns in Inventor. No issue there. The problem arises when trying to select certain faces for assembly operations such as Constraints or Joints. I am often unable to select the faces of some of my structural members. Main Columns and Beams seem to function fairly well and the problem mainly centres around smaller elements such as RHS sections. 

I've found a work around of individually adding work planes on the surface of all smaller members to allow me to constrain parts to, however, this is tedious and unclear. 

Would anyone have any tips on how to proceed. 

Thanks in advance. 

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Hi Luke, constraints should still work for IFC imported geometry, even if you choose Mesh.

I'm wondering if maybe your faces are not totally flat. Do you have an example file you can upload here please?
Thanks

James W
Inventor UX Designer
Message 3 of 7

I'd also like to draw your attention to the AEC property panel. It's kind of hidden in the 'whats new.'

If you set your selection priority to part priority and then right click on any of your IFC import files, there's an option for 'AEC properties' which will display any properties you imported for that part. 

James W
Inventor UX Designer
Message 4 of 7

Good afternoon James,

Just had a look at the AEC Properties but unfortunately this appears to be unavailable. Something I'm doing wrong when importing?

The frame I am working on is in red. Main columns and beams are fine. The box section remains an issue. 

Please see attached file for reference. 

Thanks for your help so far. 

Message 5 of 7

To get properties, you need to click the parameters checkbox on import. There also needs to be IFC properties in the IFC file too. 

James W
Inventor UX Designer
Message 6 of 7

Hi Luke, I sent you a private message in case you wanted to email me your dataset to look at. 

James W
Inventor UX Designer
Message 7 of 7

Luke has sent me files and we're looking into it internally. 

For anyone else having this issue, please try importing as mesh to see if that works instead. 

Thanks!

James W
Inventor UX Designer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report