Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repeating a sketch/extrusion along a line.

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
421 Views, 7 Replies

Repeating a sketch/extrusion along a line.

Hi All, 

Really need help with this project,  I am trying to develop a 3D drawings that is to be exported as an .igs file into an Finite Element package.  in the finite element software I am trying to join each part contact elements but because the extruded parts are elliptical, a joint cannot be made. 

I was able contact the FEA software company who responded with the following was the issue with my model.

"This is due to sweeping a constant cross-section around a helical path in a constant direction rather than the normal following the axis of the path"

Does anyone understand what that means and how it can be resolved?  I am really stuck, file attached for reference.

Thank-you

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

What I understand from the help is that the cross-section is not following the normal of the curve, but it stays parallel to some plane. If you create a spring then after one turn the circular cross-section will have completed a 360° rotation. If you move along the path without rotating then it will be only circular at 0° and 180°, all the rest turns elliptical.

(didn't have a look at the file)

Message 3 of 8
TheCADWhisperer

An assembly *.iam must included part *.ipt files.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: TheCADWhisperer

Hi All, 

Forgot to include assembly files with question

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous

Last two files

Message 6 of 8
TheCADWhisperer

Ferrule Connector Wire is not modeled correctly with circular profile perpendicular to sweep path.

You will have to make this consideration with all of the components. (see Attached)

Perp Sketch.PNG

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: TheCADWhisperer

Thank you for that, much appreciate it, makes sense when you show it like that.  Why did you overlap the coil over the sweep.  Is for comparison?  Sorry if question sounds dumb.

Cheers

Message 8 of 8
TheCADWhisperer

@Anonymous wrote:

...  Why did you overlap the coil over the sweep.  Is for comparison?   

I didn't.  I used the Coil to define the sweep path.

You used a 3D sketch helix.

I used Coil surface instead -- which I find easier to edit for changes.

My 3D sketch path was created automatically by Inventor when I selected the edge of the helical surface. There are no parameters on my 3D sketch - it is completely controlled by 2D sketch and Coil feature.

You could do it your way as long as you make the sketch plane for the circular wire profile perpendicular to the coil, but I find that harder to edit if I need to make changes.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report