Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Renaming of Parts

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
592 Views, 4 Replies

Renaming of Parts

Hello,

I am extremely new to Inventor and I'm hoping I didn't just really mess things up.  So in advance thank you for your patients with me.

I built a large number of parts and then built an assembly.  When building the parts I wasn't considering using a proper naming convention so the parts would be more easily accessible in the future when working on other projects.  I read up on how to rename the parts and what I found suggested that I use Design Assistant select the assembly, right click on action and choose rename then right click on name and select change name, select open and then save.  I did this for nearly 50 parts.  When I opened up Inventor all but a handful of parts in the home screen no longer have an image and if I try to double click them I get a message stating that they can not be found.  However, I can still open the assembly but the strange thing is that all of the name changes are reflected within the assembly.  I know I have some cleanup to do somewhere but I have no idea where to start or what to do.  Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Josh

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Mark.Lancaster
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous

Welcome to the community..

It sounds like you have unresolved components.  At the top of your Inventor Browser, right mouse click on the assembly name and select Resolve Files.  Go through each one and (re)point them to where they reside.  If you just renamed them using Design Assistant than this should've happened (lost/unresolved).  Also what version of Inventor are you using?  And what service packs/hot fixes/mid-year releases did you apply?

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Mark.Lancaster

thank you for getting back to me.  I am using the Autodesk Inventory Professional 2016 version.  I apologize but I am having a hard time following your directions as stated.  When I right click on the name I do not get the option to resolve files.

Regards,

Josh

Message 4 of 5
PaulMunford
in reply to: Anonymous

The images on the home screen are just short cuts. You re-named the files and so the shortcuts are broken. This doesn't effect your assembly.

You can delete the shortcuts by hovering over them and clicking on the 'Trash can' icon. This just deletes the shortcut - it won't harm the files

Autodesk Marketing Manager D&M
Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my company.
Linkedin Twitter Instagram Facebook Pinterest

Message 5 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: PaulMunford

Thank you for breaking down the basics...So glad I didn't break anything to serious

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report