Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing objects in Inventor

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
Anonymous
374 Views, 1 Reply

Removing objects in Inventor

Hi,

New to inventor here, I'm an audio/visual designer intern at a media production company. The client wants an animation of one of their products. We've received a massive STEP file containing all the 3D data I need to create the animation. But importing the step file into 3DS Max is way too MASSIVE.

At first I tried disassemble the STEP file in Autocad, figured out the step file copes better with Inventor so I started importing and removing parts in Inventor at the import screen. Given the fact this is huge file this takes quite some time. I left the computer on some days so I could continue disassembling the file.
Though I cannot save that progression because it's only the import part.

Inventor crashed so I have to start over again. But after the import section I can save, I cannot figure out how to remove more parts/components of the file..

So therefore my question obviously is, how can I optimize a STEP file for 3DS Max with the use of Inventor?

I gradually want to disassemble the STEP file in Inventor so I can load it easier into 3DS Max, I just don't know how to do so other than the use of the Import screen of Inventor

Help is very much appreciated, thanks in advance!

Alec

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
karthur1
in reply to: Anonymous

Working with large imported files can be challenging.  When Inventor imports the .stp file, you have the "option" to bring it in as a single solid or as individual parts (click the "Options" button after you select the file you want to import).  If you "uncheck" the "Import assembly as single part", you could then remove some of the "non-exxential" components if it is still boggy.

What are you wanting to show int the animation... parts moving showing how the thing works or an exploded view of the assembly showing how it goes together? 

Kirk

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report