Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remove internal details

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Jabm
1205 Views, 3 Replies

Remove internal details

Hi all,

I know reducing file size is a topic that has been discussed elsewhere, but I haven't found a topic that discussed exactly what I'm looking at.

My company makes units that are essentially a box/enclosure with a lot of internal components, some of which penetrate through the enclosure and become the interface with our clients other equipment. When we provide models (.stp) to our clients, it's in our interest to remove all of the internal detail so that a) the client doesn't get all of the construction detail, and b) the file size is not ridiculous. All they really need is the enclosure + external interfaces.

I'm wondering what the best way to go about removing all of the internal detail is? Sorry if there is an obvious answer that I should know, but I've never come across this previously. I've tried the obvious 'create simplified part' and 'shrinkwrap' commands, but this doesn't remove internal detail, and also doesn't result in a significant file size reduction for me.

I could go through and manually remove individual internal parts that don't come out of the enclosure, but because of the number of parts involved, this is again a very time consuming process.

I tried modelling a solid box of the enclosure that 'covers' all of the internal detail and then save the whole assembly as a surface, but I still got all of the internal surfaces as well. Is there an easy way of doing this that I am missing?

Thanks in advance,

James

(Sorry, I can't post examples)

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
YannickEnrico
in reply to: Jabm

Hey there.

I have never used this functionality myself, but I've heard about it.

I'm fairly certain Shrinkwrap can handle what you want.

It gives you one solid with more or less detail depending on the settings. And in worst case, you can do as stated, and fill it internally after having shrinkwrapped it, since it comes out as one solid. 

_______________________________________________________________________________________
Intel Core i9-14900KF
64 GB DDR5 6000 MHz
2TB WD_BLACK
RTX A4000
------------------------------
Inventor 2024 Professional
Message 3 of 4
mcgyvr

Simplify and shrinkwrap are the tools you should be using and when you create "envelopes" you only include them and can remove internal details,etc..

There are quite a few tutorials on youtube..

I'd start learning by watching some of those..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No4MF1yBp4k

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 4 of 4
PaulMunford

Yep - Shrinkwrap with patch all holes and remove internal voids. Save as a solid to avoid seeing any remaining internal faces.

Autodesk Marketing Manager D&M
Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my company.
Linkedin Twitter Instagram Facebook Pinterest

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report