Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Redirecting the C:\Autodesk folder elsewhere

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
fridtjofZM5ME
603 Views, 10 Replies

Redirecting the C:\Autodesk folder elsewhere

I'm in the process of doing a full system format. Without going into extensive detail about why, lets just say I make an effort to isolate the system drive c:\ from everything else as much as "computerly" possible. I this endavor I've made sure to optimize the c:\ drive so it has the required allocated space for the system, and the system only, and I've made other drives for everything else such as D:\ (Vault space), E:\ (Program files) etc.

The problem I've run into at this point is that I can't seem to find anywhere to redefine the default Autodesk extraction path, as C:\Autodesk\ will run into trouble due to lack of space on the partition, and I don't intend to install the Autodesk products on that drive anyway, so how do I change the location of this folder that is used during the installation process?

Labels (1)
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
CCarreiras
in reply to: fridtjofZM5ME

Hi!

I believe the programs will work better if installed in C drive in general.
C: Autodesk... well, you can delete it after any install

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 4 of 11

Well it didn't exactly work the way I hoped, but I didn't have the option to deploy the installation to a network computer from the server either. Deploying locally still extracts the installation files to C:\Autodesk. I eventually found a way around it (read: boot from Linux flash drive and juggle some harddrive space around...My microsoftic resentment lives another day...)

Message 5 of 11
pball
in reply to: fridtjofZM5ME

Sounds like a symbolic link could work for you. Simply put this makes a "folder" that is linked to a folder elsewhere. So you could have a J:\Autodesk folder that c:\Autodesk would be linked to and all files would actually get stored in the J:\ location but the C:\ location would function as normal for programs that expect it. Linked below is just the first google result on the topic.

https://www.howtogeek.com/16226/complete-guide-to-symbolic-links-symlinks-on-windows-or-linux/

Message 6 of 11
fridtjofZM5ME
in reply to: pball

Now we're talking! 😄

Message 7 of 11

I moved "Temp" to another HDD so C: can be more responsive.

Don't remember what happened but the folder was deleted.

Windows went crazy.  Took a while to figure that out.

So be careful.  When Windows can't find things where it think they are, you won't getting error message that can help you.

With SSD, that is not necessary.  The drive can handle a lot.

Moving app to another drive works, until you reinstall OS.

Test recovery procedures before you commit to do it on all computers.

Don't ask how I know 😶

Message 8 of 11

For now at least, Win11 seem to behave itself with regards to this. But I didn't go out of my way to move the "users" and "program data" root folders even though I'd prefer to. I'll probably make a recovery backup today anyway, as I've finally gotten things to work again after wrestling with my workstation for a week now...

Message 9 of 11

With old HDD, splitting usage helps a lot.

One for OS, one for Data, one for Pagefile.  It reduce fragmentation.

With SSD, not as much.  Unless you are saving GB daily.

Get software to image the bootdrive.  Monthly or even weekly.  Much faster to recover image then reinstall.

Keep a spare drive with the image installed and you can get back up in 30 minutes.

Message 10 of 11

That was my thought as well, in addition to a vague hope that the next time I need to "flush the toilet" so to say, only Windows goes down the drain, and not everything else as well...
Message 11 of 11

There are too many things in registry and shared library files for each program.

They all need to reinstall when Windows is reinstalled.

Copy will not work.  That's since Windows 3.11 😎

Image the drive with OS and programs weekly or monthly.

Backup all working files daily and weekly.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report