Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recover thread of holes after importing a standard file (STP / IGES / ...)

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
1228 Views, 5 Replies

Recover thread of holes after importing a standard file (STP / IGES / ...)

Hello,

Time ago I discovered that the threads are not saved in the standard file, as for example STEP or IGES files and after added as feature in CAD programs just displayed as an image over the surface of the hole or the cilinder.

I have some standard files (basically STEP and for each file the corresponding 2D drawing) of parts that I would like to import to inventor and "recover" the "missing" threads so I can rebuild the drawings with inventor and in the future make modifications over that parts.

My question is if there is a fast way to recover the threads or what is the recommended way to do. I do not want to create each part from start.

As most parts are sheet metal, for the moment I have been working in the next way:

1. Projecting the face
  2. Making the center of the holes of the same type as center point
  3. Deleting the holes with direct edit
  4. Creating again the holes with thread from the sketch.

If the thread is outside I had to remove the chamfer, creating the thread one by one and adding the chamfer.

I think that probably there is a better way to obtain the same in easier and faster way.

Thank you very much

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Marco.Takx
in reply to: Anonymous

If you have subscription you can use this add-in.

Feature Recognition

Is you only turn the holes into a hole feature you can change the hole settings to a thread.

Met vriendelijke groet | Kind regards | Mit freundlichem Gruß

Marco Takx
CAM Programmer & CAM Consultant

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Marco.Takx

Thank you very much!

That was exactly what I was searching for!

Luckily we have a subscription 🙂 (not sure why this feature is not included by default in Inventor in place or together with Recognize Revit Features).

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Marco.Takx

Now I realised that creates one hole for each hole that there is in the part.

Is there a way to obtain groups of similar holes, for example 3mm diameter ones?

Thank you.

Message 5 of 6
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

Is there a way to obtain groups of similar holes, for example 3mm diameter ones?

Are they in a Pattern?  If, so you can set as a Circular or Rectangular Pattern.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 6 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

Thank you! But not always are in a pattern... Any other way?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report