Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flexible and adaptive components in arrays

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Barry1Lau
724 Views, 4 Replies

Flexible and adaptive components in arrays

Inventor 2014 64bit SP2 Update 7 on Win7 64bit

I have an assembly with two circular arrays of springs.  The springs are assemblies with 2 plates that are variably constrained.  On the 1st array the spring was inserted into a pocket then mated to another part sitting on it.  The part is variably constrained to the plate with the spring pocket. If I make the 1st component spring in the array adaptive, the part moves up and down within the range of the spring's travel contraint.  If I try to make another array of the same or even a different but smilar spring the loaded part does not move.  The "adaptive" designation is greyed out and a message about using a flexible constraint in an array is not allowed.  I don't understand what the problem is.  Can only one array in an assembly be adaptive?

The only work around seems to be insert individual springs and set each one to flexible constraint.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
JDMather
in reply to: Barry1Lau

I wouldn't even bother to try Adaptive.

I would either Animate Parameters in Inventor Studio

or

use Dynamic Simulation Spring Force Joints.

What is your design intent for spring animation?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 5
PaulMunford
in reply to: JDMather

Message 4 of 5
Barry1Lau
in reply to: PaulMunford

This is pretty cool. It is more that I need for my application since it doesn't have to be realistic just functional. Thank you for your suggestions.
Message 5 of 5
Barry1Lau
in reply to: JDMather

I don't know how to use Inventor Studio or Dynamic Simulation Spring Force Joints.
The intent of modeling the spring is to drive the parts list and as a check on spring selection. I created models of springs that I commonly use and plug them into the assemblies being built. The modeled spring won't let me over compress it if the one chosen is too short for the travel required.
Since Flexible doesn't work with an array, but adaptive does sometimes, I guess I will let it work when it does and inset individual flexible components when it won't. Thank you for your suggestions.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report