Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

re usable sketch?

18 REPLIES 18
SOLVED
Message 1 of 19
FrontlineFusionLtd
717 Views, 18 Replies

re usable sketch?

How can i design a sketch that i can re use through out a part without having to re draw it, on multiple planes ( the sketch itself does not need to be modified )

i like the idea of sketch blocks but it seems to only apply with autocad imported sketches.  I dont want to use autocad and i cant seem to get sketch blocks to function with Inventor alone. Ive tried copy and paste wich does not allow me to paste once i change planes.  I have not tried ifeature but it seems to be a library and i was wondering if there was a way to do it within a part file and keep it within that file ( unless needed to publish beyond )         { please correct me if im wrong anywhere here }

eg.

building a wood box ( open on 2 opposite sides ) add in the intricate routered edges on some of the wood boards,

not all the boards have the routered edge and not all the edges have the router grooves the whole length of the boards,  i would like to make the routered edges optional with other router designs, thus the ipart feature will otherwise become extremely long winded.

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19

Without seeing it ...

I would probably make it an Ifeature ...and have it pathed to my library

If it's something that could change, than you can put these values into the ifeature so it's all in one place and you can update change it as needed...

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 3 of 19

how do i post something so you can see it?

i can insert a part ive been working on.

Message 4 of 19

that'll work ...and tell use what sketch you want to repeat

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 5 of 19

did this work?

Message 6 of 19

sketch 7 wich is in extrusion 8

i would like to move this sketch down to the bottom but have it start after the intersection of the vertical and horizontal board ( if that makes sense ) so that the router is on the top side of the bottom board but not where there is an intersection of boards.

this is a simple example.

Message 7 of 19

in my above attachment i already had to make the sketch twice so that i could make the router groove go all the way  around the top board.  ( unless there was an easier way todo that )

that router sketch is also as easy as it gets... other profiles begin to get more complex.

Message 8 of 19

@FrontlineFusionLtd wrote:

i like the idea of sketch blocks but it seems to only apply with autocad imported sketches.  ... 

I am a bit confused here.

Are you aware that you can easily make Sketch Blocks in Inventor (AutoCAD not needed)?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 9 of 19

One sketch. (far fewer dimensions needed)

Next I will demonstrate how to use the Sketch Block.  (video to follow)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 10 of 19
JDMather
in reply to: JDMather

I can't seem to get Screencast recordings to upload today, but you should be able to right click on the Sketch Block and copy/paste into any sketch.

Message 11 of 19

I haven't looked yet at what JD did on his, so I don't know if I've got the same solution or not, but this is how I'd do it.

Take a look at what I did with the blocks.  The dimensions aren't the same as what you did, but they look at least mostly similar, and it's close enough that you can get the idea.  The long side and short side cuts can be done in the same operation, with no need to re-use sketches at all.  The upper and lower cuts do need separate sketches, but you can easily re-use the same block to make both.

(In fact, if you've got a lot of decorative router bits, it might be worth your time to make up sketch blocks for their shapes and you'll be easily able to work them into your planning with Inventor.)

Rusty

EESignature

Message 12 of 19

no as i stated in my opening statement.

i have seen the sketch block icon in videos on youtube in the layout tab, however my layout tab does not have that option it only has make part and make component.  Also i have read some where that sketch blocks can only be made from autocad blocks and not within inventor.

please show me how its done and you will have solved my problem.

Message 13 of 19

wow you sure showed me!!

i usually build things like they are built in real world but you show a great demonstration of how CAD can be used to simplify the *work time* involved with getting results. (not to mention what looks like simplifying the ipart/ilogic processes )

I think this is great... i tried using the sweep command but was not able to figure out how to get the sketch profile to turn around the corners.

you created a sketch block

you created a part that can be broken into components at the assembly level ( multiple bodies)

and you simplified the work flow....

other than being a perfect solution, im still not sure how you made your sketch block... i can find no information on the topic and in the videos that do show the sketch block button, they have the option in their layout tab ( in sketch view ) but i do not show the same tab..

i am using inventor 2017

Message 14 of 19

thanks, yours looks great too. it also shows exactly what i was trying todo...

my problem is still how did you make your block... what is the process to be able to save a sketch into a block so that it can be used/ re used through out a part.

( im sure its simple i just cant seem to find it )

Message 15 of 19

haha, i accidentaly added my own reply as a solution...  if i can omit that i would be happy to learn how...

any way i found the sketch block in the Create pull down....  the only place i didnt look!!!

thanks again... your help was beyond what i could have asked for.l

Message 16 of 19

thanks for your help... as i replied to JD i found the sketch block in the Create pull down..  the one place i never looked

hats off.

Message 17 of 19

Glad to help.

One useful thing about sketch blocks, you can copy-paste them between part files, and you should be able to include them in your template files as well.  If you make up  blocks to cover a lot of your standard tool bits and include those in your templates, you can get pretty creative in how you setup your parts for cutting.  I don't use a lot of the decorative bits myself - all my router work is CNC, so fancy stuff just generally gets done with multiple passes of a ball-end cutter - but there's a few special tools that I do that with.  Definitely helps with layouts and figuring out how much space I need to leave between parts, etc.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 18 of 19

@FrontlineFusionLtd wrote:

... i found the sketch block in the Create pull down..  the one place i never looked 

Looks like you got it figured out.

And I finally got the video to upload.

Message 19 of 19

Great demonstration,

and thank you for taking the time to do that.

Note:

your question about the lower router profile... yes you got it right on the bottom board in the video, If you take a look at LT RUSTY's post of his ipart in this topic you will see my intent.

Cheers.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report