Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Tinting" the part in drawing view

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
EdvinTailwind
303 Views, 5 Replies

"Tinting" the part in drawing view

I have a multibody part that looks like this: 

EdvinTailwind_0-1682338165505.png

(it's a sandwiched floor of plywood, insulation and glass fibre)

The standard drawing view turns out like this:

EdvinTailwind_2-1682338468632.png

All the straight lines makes it unnecessary hard to overview, IMHO. I'm looking for a way to EASILY  do something like below, without having to change the material/appearance of the part. To put it simple, I want it to pop out slightly from the paper when I print it or export to PDF, without having to go full color shading. Like some sort of "Tint part" style option, instead of Shaded style.

EdvinTailwind_3-1682338798025.png

I did some experimenting with a separate "grey" Model State, but it doesn't seem possible to have different appearances for the same surface in different states. On the other hand, I'd rather have this option in the Drawing view, not in the model.

Labels (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
swalton
in reply to: EdvinTailwind

I've never tried to do what you want.  Some things to try:

Apply a hatch to the drawing view.

https://help.autodesk.com/view/INVNTOR/2022/ENU/?guid=GUID-F9740B4B-DD41-47A7-9A27-87ADC20D681D

How about a different Design View Rep, not Model State to control the colors?  

If you are using Inventor 2024, try the new Finish feature. 

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 3 of 6
EdvinTailwind
in reply to: swalton

Hatching worked, but not as quick as I hoped it to be. 😆

Result:

EdvinTailwind_0-1682341455175.png

Unless someone else posts a better (eg quicker) way of doing it, hatching will be the accepted solution.

I tried with a separate View in the part as well, but same issue as with Model State (eg appearance can't be different).

I'm using 2023 (and sometimes 2022), otherwise Finish could've been an interesting option for this.

Message 4 of 6
SBix26

You can create a separate View Representation that has a different appearance, such as a plain light gray.  Use this in the drawing view and make it Shaded.  I'm not sure it's any faster than hatching, depending on the part, but it's an alternative.

Sam B

Inventor Pro 2024 | Windows 10 Home 22H2
autodesk-expert-elite-member-logo-1line-rgb-black.png

Message 5 of 6
EdvinTailwind
in reply to: SBix26

As this is something I want to produce in the drawing environment, rather than bloating the part, hatching is the closest to a good solution. Thank you anyway for chipping in!

Message 6 of 6
SBix26

There's not very much file size impact to creating a View Representation and making it a different appearance (4096 bytes in the example that I just tried).  But for a relatively simple part, hatching is undoubtedly just as quick or quicker.

Sam B

Inventor Pro 2024 | Windows 10 Home 22H2
autodesk-expert-elite-member-logo-1line-rgb-black.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report