Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Shell" command problem, "Cannot find vertex"

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
nyrkkanm
551 Views, 4 Replies

"Shell" command problem, "Cannot find vertex"

I recently created a part in Inventor 2020 and I am running into issues using shell to finish it off. The part is a nose cone that was created using surfaces and then sculpt. These steps resulted in a solid part, but I obviously need to hollow it out so it is able to fit around the vehicle. When I try to use "shell" and select the faces I want to remove, it returns an error saying "The attempted shell operation was unable to solve for a vertex". I have spent hours trying to figure a solution, but can't seem to figure it out. I have attached the file I am referencing. 

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Xun.Zhang
in reply to: nyrkkanm

Howdy @nyrkkanm I see that you are visiting as a new member to the Inventor Forum.
Welcome to the Autodesk Community!

Yes, this is impacted by the geometry that Multi-line vertex, let me investigate it a little bit and try to provide a solution then.

Untitled.png

Xun
Message 3 of 5
nyrkkanm

UPDATE: I attempted to solve this problem by simplifying a lot of the sketches and features, but I am getting the same error. I would appreciate any suggestions! I attached the new file below. 

Message 4 of 5
Xun.Zhang

Hello @nyrkkanm,

Have several tries, nut not able to do the shell as well as surface thicken.

This is a modeling error case that several curve contribute to a vertex, suggest to rebuild the surface a little bit.

Or try to create a hole in that vertex and you can complete shell a little bit as below enclosed file. 

Xun
Message 5 of 5
nyrkkanm
in reply to: Xun.Zhang

Thanks for the help! So I am able to figure this out in the future, what was the function of the small hole up front?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report