Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"New Sheet" brings up blank page

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Vagulus
695 Views, 9 Replies

"New Sheet" brings up blank page

When I save the attached drawing as a template and use that to create a new drawing I have a problem with creating a second sheet for the drawing.

When I click New Sheet in Inventor 2015 I get a new sheet alright, but it only has the Title Block - no Border.

I get exactly the same result when I try the trick with the parent template which was am_din.dwg.

How do I get a second, and subsequent, sheet with the full template intact?

"If you can't explain it to a six-year-old,
you don't understand it yourself"
Albert Einstein
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Mark.Lancaster
in reply to: Vagulus

Vagulus

The border on your first sheet is an AutoCAD block and you have no true Inventor border definition defined on sheet 1.  So here's a screen shot showing my drawing with the default border definition in it.

2-26-2016 8-12-38 AM.jpg

In yours you only have the titleblock definition defined

2-26-2016 8-11-36 AM.jpg

In the end you need to define you required border under the drawing resource section/border and then insert it into your drawing/sheet 1.  Then when you create sheet 2 your border will be there.

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 3 of 10
Vagulus
in reply to: Mark.Lancaster

That's odd!  Smiley Mad

This is what I see:

A4 Blocks.JPG

I'll resend the drawing - this is a document created from the template.

Albert Einstein
Message 4 of 10
Mark.Lancaster

You expanded the drawing resource section but under Sheet 1 of your drawing there's no border definition defined.  When you create another sheet, the border definition is pulled from sheet 1 and not the drawing resource section.

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 5 of 10
Vagulus
in reply to: Mark.Lancaster

Sorry to take so long to get back, Mark, but things have been worse than chaotic here.  I didn't think I was going to have any chance to get at this until the new year, that's how tight things are.  However, I have some time so I might as well use it. 

My current effort was to create a personalized template based on the am-din.dwg template in Inventor 2015.  All I did was create a drawing based on that template, modify the title block, and save a copy of it as a template.    Obviously I did not get a proper translation.

I do not understand your talk of Sheet 1 and of  the Drawing Resource Section, so I really need a step through of the process to get a properly functioning template.  I hope you can help.

Thanks

Albert Einstein
Message 6 of 10
LT.Rusty

I'm working on making a Screencast recording for you on this, but unfortunately it looks like you're going to need to redo a little bit of your work.

You've used AutoCAD blocks for your border, and that's not really the right way to go about it.  I'll see if I can come up with an easy way for you to fix this, but ... you might get stuck re-drawing your border, at least.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 7 of 10
LT.Rusty

Here we go.

If you look at what I'm doing in the browser over on the left side, at the beginning, you'll see how there's an item in the sheet I got from the default template, it's called 'Default Border.'  In your file, you don't have a border that's defined as a border in a way that Inventor recognizes.  When you imported your AutoCAD file, you just brought everything in as AutoCAD blocks and made use of them that way.  

Now, I had to go through a few extra steps here that you probably won't need to do since you have the original AutoCAD file, but basically I deleted everything on the sheet EXCEPT the border, then saved it out as an AutoCAD file again, then reimported it and told Inventor to bring the stuff in as a border this time.  Once I imported it, I was able easily to re-align the border with the sheet and add an anchor point for the title block, then copy the defined border over to the original file. After that, it's no big deal to add the border as a border to the sheet template, and then it's usable and shows up on all new sheets created.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 8 of 10
Vagulus
in reply to: LT.Rusty

Thanks very much for that.  Sadly, I am up to my ears in work at the moment and it'll be some weeks before I can get time to study it.

I will, though.

As the man said, 'I'll be back!"

BTW: is there any way to download these screencasts so they can ve viewed off-line?

Albert Einstein
Message 9 of 10
mdavis22569

how's the training / school going ...and the test?

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 10 of 10
Vagulus
in reply to: mdavis22569

Up to my ears. Smiley Frustrated

I'll be back on all this.

Albert Einstein

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report