Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about Content Center Library Transfer

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
jrobinson
866 Views, 2 Replies

Question about Content Center Library Transfer

We have a guy here who's taking his work laptop home with him for a few weeks so he won't have access to our Vault and our Content Center library on the Vault Server. I looked into if there was a way to allow him to download or copy our Content Center library from Vault to use locally and I read about the Library Transfer Guide (under Project > Configure Content Center Libraries) and then switching his Application Options > Content Center > Inventor Desktop Content.

Does choosing "From Autodesk Vault Server to Inventor Desktop Content" option, login to Vault, selecting the Vault library to transfer from, selecting the local "My Library" to transfer to basically copy everything from our Vault library into My Library which he can use? I was a little hesitant on the word "Transfer" and wanted to ensure this actually does make a copy.

Capture.JPG

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Mark.Lancaster
in reply to: jrobinson

@jrobinson

The library transfer guide really exports the Vault content center library into the Inventor content center .idcl file format.  Nothing is changed on the Vault server.  However please keep this in mind.

1.  This transfer only works on custom read/write libraries.

2.  If you make changes to your custom read/write library in Vault, you have to do this again to get the latest information.

3.  If the custom read/write library is linked back to a read only library, the end user must have the read only .idcl on their machine too.

Update:  Just a clarification to one of your questions.   The transfer (or export) is based on vault name read/write content center library to a desktop (same name) read/write library.   Meaning you can't transfer information to a totally different library name like MY LIBRARY.IDCL.  IF you don;t have any custom content center read/write libraries in Vault, there's no need to do any transfer.  Check the user's machine at C:\Programdata\Autodesk\<Inventor version>\Content Center\Libraries and see if the .IDCL files are already there.

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 3 of 3
jrobinson
in reply to: Mark.Lancaster

Thanks Mark. I figured this was probably the case, but before I clicked that OK button I wanted to be certain and wasn't finding any answers in the Help files. Yes this is a custom read/write library with our own content center parts.

I noticed that if you don't select a local Library to transfer to, it just creates one locally with the same name as the one in Vault.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report