Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Promote for multiple occurrences of the same sub assembly?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Preston_Reed
248 Views, 5 Replies

Promote for multiple occurrences of the same sub assembly?

Hello, is there a way to promote items in a sub assembly to where it works if there are multiple occurrences of the same sub assembly?  If I have 3 of the sub assembly and i promote parts in one of them it will not apply to the others.  Is there a way to do this?

promote.gif

Tags (2)
Labels (2)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Right-click > Selection > Select All Occurrences, then right-click > Component > Promote.
Message 3 of 6

That doesn't work unfortunately

promote2.gif

Message 4 of 6
johnsonshiue
in reply to: Preston_Reed

Hi! Unfortunately, the workflow isn't supported. Only the components at the same level (relative to the top) can be promoted together.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 6
-niels-
in reply to: johnsonshiue

@johnsonshiue wrote:

Hi! Unfortunately, the workflow isn't supported. Only the components at the same level (relative to the top) can be promoted together.

Many thanks!

@Preston_Reed So the unfortunate manual method to perform this is a very roundabout approach:

1. promote the parts from 1 instance

2. save your top assembly, don't save the changes to your sub-assembly.

3. close your top assembly (don't save changes if prompted again)

4. reopen your top assembly, the sub-assembly should contain the parts again.

5. repeat from 1. for your next instance.

6. when the final instance has its parts promoted you can save the sub-assembly so the parts aren't duplicated.

I'm not sure if there's a way to refresh the assembly without the close/reopen steps, but this would be my approach.

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 6 of 6
Preston_Reed
in reply to: Preston_Reed

@-niels-  & @johnsonshiue  thank you for your feedback.  

The reason I was trying to do this is for iLogic configurators that ive made/ am still making.  The way I went about it was in each sub assembly, I placed all of the purchased parts even though they should be placed in the top level assembly.  My intention was to promote the parts out in top level from all of the sub assembly configurators.  This workflow made more sense to me, its easier to control and add 5-10 purchased parts per sub assembly (weldment) than 100+ in the top level.  Fortunately there is only a couple of sub assemblies that get duplicated so ill come up with a new strategy for those.  Thank you for the insight  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report