Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project Geometry problem

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Daan_M
487 Views, 7 Replies

Project Geometry problem

Hi,

I'm trying to project the geometry of the housing to draw in a gasket seal, hoovering over the surface i want projected highlights it perfectly fine.

Daan_M_0-1667395312684.png

when executing the command it gives the following error

Daan_M_1-1667395357270.png

Any explanation? Thanks in advance

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
-niels-
in reply to: Daan_M

The "atomic iMate" makes me think this is within an assembly.
If so, i think you need to address some constraint issues first before attempting to create the projected geometry...

Even within a part, it might be that the iMates are disconnected... so you could always try deleting them, creating your sketch and recreating the iMates at the end...

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 3 of 8
blandb

Just verifying workflow here. You are in an assembly, you choose "Create" from assembly tab > Component Panel to create a part in-context of the assembly and then selected the face of the housing. Now, when actually editing the part in-context of the assembly you projected the housing face. When returning back to the assembly level, this error appears?

Autodesk Certified Professional
Message 4 of 8
Daan_M
in reply to: -niels-

@blandb @-niels- 

It's definently a (multi body) part file (.ipt), i imported it from a .STP file.

I did add iMates to it, but i don't see how this should conflict with projecting geometry to a scetch.

- Deleting the iMates did not work

- Instead of projecting Geometry i used project cutting edges on the exact same plane, this seemed to work

Strange problem.... but found another way around it using project cutting edges

Message 5 of 8
blandb

Can you share the part prior to your fix?

Autodesk Certified Professional
Message 6 of 8
johnsonshiue

Hi Daan,

The error usually indicates there is a geometric problem. Somehow the geometry is bad or it is not tagged properly. Try Ctrl+F7. Does it report any bad body?

Please attach the file here. Forum experts can help take a further look.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 7 of 8
Daan_M
in reply to: blandb

@blandb @johnsonshiue 

I have attached the part. The problem is already fixed but im curious if you are able to use the project geom on the surface i pointed out in my initial comment. Hopefully something comes up so I learn from it, thanks.

Message 8 of 8
johnsonshiue

Hi Daan,

I believe there is a bug here. It should just work. The error message is related to some of the iMates. But, it is nonsensical. It is because the iMates have nothing to do with the sketch. I need to work with the project team to understand it better.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report