Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printing architectural drawings to scale

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
1625 Views, 9 Replies

Printing architectural drawings to scale

Hello,

I have to turn in architectural drawings for permitting that need to be to scale.  I have the drawing scaled correctly, however, when I go to print I obviously have to choose the "Model 1:1" scale to be able to measure it with a ruler & it be correct.  When I do this, it doesn't print my border or all my notes on the sheet, only the drawing itself.  If I print it using the "Best Fit" option, everything gets printed but it doesn't come out to scale.

Is there a way to use the "Model 1:1" print option & have everything on my sheet print?  Or will it only print the drawing itself?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
mcgyvr
in reply to: Anonymous

Sounds like you have selected/created your drawing on the wrong sheet size..

What size paper is in your printer?

What size sheet are you drawing on in Inventor? (Right click on the sheet in the drawing model browser and select edit sheet and see whats listed for size)

They must match if you expect a 1:1 print to work..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: mcgyvr

I'm waiting to hear back from the depot on what size sheet they turn in to the Fire Department but here I'm only printing on an 8 1/2" X 11".

My drawing sheet is set at a C size.

Message 4 of 10
Cadmanto

This is a loaded question!!!

What is the printer you are using?  What does your print preview look like?

Does your printer output a size big enough to handle these drawings 1:1.

Generally these are printed out on a plotter.

Windows 10 x64 -16GB Ram
Intel i7-6700 @ 3.41ghz
nVidia GTS 250 - 1 GB
Inventor Pro 2018

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Cadmanto

I scaled this particular drawing down to 1/16" = 1' which then fits on the 8 1/2" x 11" sheet when printed at 1:1, but again, I'm not sure what printer or sheet size that's being used when turned in.  The picture on the left is how I need it printed out & the picture on the right is what my print preview looks like when I'm using the 1:1 scale to print.  Even if I scale the drawing down more the rest of the stuff on page doesn't show up.

1.JPGCapture.JPG

Message 6 of 10
Cadmanto

Based on the view and the amount of quadrants around the border, looks like it could be an "E" size.  That is 44" x 34" .

If you look in your browser, you should see a border.  If you RC on it and select "Edit Definition" go into that and take a measurement in both the "X" and "Y" direction and let me know what it measures.  That will give you your sheet size.

Windows 10 x64 -16GB Ram
Intel i7-6700 @ 3.41ghz
nVidia GTS 250 - 1 GB
Inventor Pro 2018

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous

My sheet size is 17" X 22".

Message 8 of 10
Cadmanto

Ok, that is a "C" size.  Unless you are printing to a plotter, the average printer cannot do anything larger then 11" X 17".

If you don't have a plotter, then unless your company buys one, you will have to find an outside source for printing this full size.

Is the part view 1 : 1 on the drawing sheet?  If not, then the sheet size is irrelevant.   To print the sheet size 1 : 1 is meaningless unless the part view on the sheet is 1 : 1.

Windows 10 x64 -16GB Ram
Intel i7-6700 @ 3.41ghz
nVidia GTS 250 - 1 GB
Inventor Pro 2018

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 9 of 10
mcgyvr

Printer "model 1:1" setting is really about the sheet size you picked and not about your model/view scale..

If you expect your borders/titleblock to print when using "model 1:1" in the print dialog then your sheet size in Inventor must match your paper size that your printer is using..

plain and simple.. 

That printer setting will in effect make sure that the scale in which your view is (whatever it may be) is true when printed out.. But if your sheet size in Inventor is not the same as the paper you are using then parts of the drawing (titleblock,etc..) may not be printed  or its too small (in the case where sheet size is smaller than paper you are printing on)

As stated if you only have access to an 8-1/2 x 11 printer and expect to use "model 1:1" then you should only be using sheet size "A" in Inventor.. 

If you have a printer capable of doing that and 11x17 then you can use those 2 sheet sizes (A and B)..

If you have a plotter capable of 22 x 34 then you can use an Inventor sheet size up to that...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 10 of 10
Anonymous

That's what I was thinking but hoping otherwise.

Thank you for all your help!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report