Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Perforated sheet

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
2671 Views, 5 Replies

Perforated sheet

I have a situation where i wish to create a perforated steel sheet and then fold or unfold it in the sheet metal tool.This perforated steel sheet is 2 mm thick with 4 mm holes at a specific triangular pitch.

To creat the geometry is not a problem ,the problem arises because  the number of holes runs into the thousands, this has the effect of slowing down the computer quite considerably.

I know it is possible to increase the performance but i doubt as to whether this will make much difference.

I have tried to create a pattern of so many holes and then create or duplicate this pattern hoping to reduce the memory usage but this does not work.

Is there another way that this can be achieved by using blocks,or some other method.

The system i am using is inventor professional 13,computer has 32 GB RAM.

Any suggestions please.

Ps Analysis of the final tube with holes needs to be carried out to prove its structural integrity.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
mcgyvr
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a situation where i wish to create a perforated steel sheet

Ps Analysis of the final tube with holes needs to be carried out to prove its structural integrity.

Don't model the holes and adjust the material properties (youngs moduli,etc..) as necessary to achieve acceptable results.. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 6
mpatchus
in reply to: mcgyvr

@mcgyvr wrote:

Don't model the holes and adjust the material properties (youngs moduli,etc..) as necessary to achieve acceptable results.. 

Agree with mcgyvr, adjust your material properties for your analysis.
If you need a more realistic visual representation, adjust the color style.
Use the Screen_5&.bmp texture, or create one of your own that more closely resembles your hole pattern.
Perf material.JPG
Perforated Sheet.JPG
Mike Patchus - Lancaster SC

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂
Message 4 of 6
PaulMunford

Whoops - sorry. I accidentally clicked on 'accept as soloution' instead of kudos (I'm on my phone).

However I agree with the above. I would add, for anyone who is looking for patterning tips; if you create a feature with a hole in it and pattern the feature, the result seems to take less memory than patterning a hole.

And you could always create as big a pattern as you can. Then 'Step' it out, and bring it back in and pattern the dumb solid.

Autodesk Marketing Manager D&M
Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my company.
Linkedin Twitter Instagram Facebook Pinterest

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: mcgyvr

Thanks for the reply mcgyvr. Without complicating the issue,when you say alter the youngs modulus is there a specific formula. If we assume the sheet is solid ie without perforations and made from carbon steel and then we punch holes in the sheet in which manner does this affect the youngs modulus,ie to what degree of percentage is it reduced by. Surely the size of holes must have an impact if this approach is used. What I am trying to do is to create a rolled perforated tube ,then load the top edge with the bottom edge constrained to see what happens to the tube under compression and to see the deflection along the axis. Regards
Message 6 of 6
mpatchus

Take a look at this link....  Strength and Elastic Properties of Perforated Metal

They describe the "Equivalent Solid Material Concept" for design analysis of perforated metals.

Not sure how detailed your analysis has to be, but it might be something you can use.

Mike Patchus - Lancaster SC

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report