Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parts configuration

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
2227 Views, 5 Replies

Parts configuration

Hi , I used to work by Solidworks at previous job , now I have to learn Inventor. Actually , I'm doing well , but I still have one problem .
I can't find how to define few configurations for part (I mean "view representations") ?
I'll be glad if someone would help me...
Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

configurations in Solidworks = iParts in Inventor

Introduction to iParts (1.5MB PDF)
by Sean Dotson - May 6, 2002
iParts are a big mystery for most users. This tutorial steps you through the basics fo creating a simple iPart. We discuss how to format the table, set the properties and organize the iPart keys.
Download the Data Set (21kB XLS)

more info here:

http://www.sdotson.com/tutorials.asp

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous

There are two types of configurations in Solidworks.  One is similar to ipart, the other is similar to the derive feature

I have been trying to virtually prototype the manufacturing process in Inventor which I could do in Solidworks very easily!  The configuration tree in Solidworks allows the same part to undergo many changes and to take on different shapes.  I need to be able to pull each and every step of the manufacturing sequence and create a print for it.  For example, if I am machining something complicated from bar stock, the first configuration would be a bar, the second would be the first turning cycle, the third would be the other side, the fourth would be the milling operation, etc, etc.  This is necessary for machine programming and assemblies.   

Solidworks has inventor seriously beat in this area.  Solidworks uses the configuration tree, where each version of the part is in a tree under one model.  The parent child relationship is clear.    Any change to an upper level part automatically rolls down to every part below.  

Inventor uses the "derive" feature to accomplish something similar.  The only problem is now you need to manage many different files.  If you undergo 20 different steps, now you have 20 different models.  The parent child relationship between files is unclear.  Design assistant is not of any help in this area.  The only way I have figured out how to manage the files is through how they are named.  

Any suggestions?

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

can you not use the suppress/compute option in iParts to pull this off?

For example, if I am machining something complicated from bar stock, the first configuration would be a bar, the second would be the first turning cycle, the third would be the other side, the fourth would be the milling operation, etc, etc.  This is necessary for machine programming and assemblies.  

Create those machining operations as features and use the Suppression tab to exclude them.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous

I have worked through the suppress/ compute feature in ipart for multiple configurations.  The ipart is not as robust as solidworks configurations, for example, I cannot make an assembly in part mode and save each solid as a new part and the original part as an assembly.  I also have a little trouble structuring complex configurations because all configurations share the same design tree instead of having their own.  

I have figured a work around for most of my problems, I use derive to pull solid bodies out of a part.

With all of that aside, I am not able to use ipart yet for work because when ever I change the ipart, the drawing is not updated.  This should be a no brainer.....

How do I update changed iparts on drawings?

Message 6 of 6
Eltonedro

Hi guys

On the other spectrum of things i found a way to make configurations in Assemblies using Level of Detail just the same way Solid-works will have configurations for Assemblies

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report