Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ordinate Dimension Origin Will not Snap to Point

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
el_jefe_de_steak
1459 Views, 6 Replies

Ordinate Dimension Origin Will not Snap to Point

Hi, I cannot select an origin point for ordinate dimensions. I don't know what is causing this... I have change my selection options (part priority, edge and feature priority, etc) but that doesn't change anything. Normally, this works fine, but in this case I cannot make it work. Any ideas of how to fix this?

Screencast - Cannot Snap Origin

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

One guess, start any dimensioning command, then right click anywhere on a blank area of the screen.  Select Snap Settings and make sure the Endpoint one is on.

Drawing Snap Settings.jpg

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 3 of 7

@jhackney1972 

Thanks for the suggestion. I just tried this out, but those settings have seemingly no bearing on Ordinate dimensions.

Message 4 of 7

When I do an ordinate dimension, my Origin symbol is directly below the cursor, yours is not.  This indicates to me that your have an offset entered into your Origin location.  You are trying to place the Origin symbol directly over the snap location, have you tired to very careful hover your cursor crosshairs over the snap point? 

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 5 of 7

You are right about that.... Interesting point.

I tried to do ordinate dimensions on a different drawing and it worked fine! Perhaps this was the issue.

Message 6 of 7

Hi! The behavior does not look right to me. It should work. Try this. Open the assembly and go to Manage -> Rebuild all. Go back to the drawing and try to add the origin indicator. Does it work now?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 7 of 7

@johnsonshiue 

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried to do that, but was still unable to make it work in this drawing. I'll attach the model so you can see for yourself if you'd like. I'm personally just moving on with some simplified normal dimensions just to get the drawing "out the door". 

The parts in question are the channel members shown on page 10 of the drawing.

The ordinate dimensions work as they are supposed to for all other drawings.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report