Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opacity slider in 2018 (parts, not assembly)

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
793 Views, 7 Replies

Opacity slider in 2018 (parts, not assembly)

I want to make a part transparent, but I want to control HOW transparent it is.  The appearance properties used to have a transparency slider... but it seems to be gone now.

I don't want to use glass, it's TOO clear.  Am I missing the setting? or is it "not needed" anymore?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
blair
in reply to: Anonymous

Check the box for the function to become active

CaptureF.JPG

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: blair

Yes, that's what I was expecting to see, but...

Capture.PNG

Message 4 of 8
blair

I've attached a PDF, it states IV2013 but that was when the Materials and Appearances were split apart. It's still applicable for IV2018 and IV2019 as nothing has changed in this section.

Sometimes it's just easier to create a new Appearance from scratch. The PDF goes into that as well. 

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 5 of 8
Mark.Lancaster
in reply to: blair

@Anonymous

Adding to @blair reply..

That option Transparent slider is based on how the appearance was actually created or from what template it was started from..  Meaning that entire section is not always the same or not every appearance would have that option.

For example if an appearance was based on the metal appearance template, that option transparent would not be there while another one would have it.   This is what i called a half baked appearance..   You are starting with something and defining its standard options.

If an appearance is started based on the "generic appearance", then all of those appearances would have the same options, settings and the transparent slider or that option would be there..  This is my scratch baked appearance..   Basically I'm starting with a clean slate.

As @blair indicate you would need to create a new generic appearance in order to have the option or pick one of the per-defined appearances with that option.

Update: Attaching a computer presentation (powerpoint) that I did in May about appearances.   Hopefully some of the info is useful to you..

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 6 of 8

Hi Guys,

I am not sure if it is related. But, there is actually another level of transparency control. Go to Tools -> Application Options -> Display -> Settings -> look at the bottom "Appearance Transparency."

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: johnsonshiue

It would be really nice if "appearances" all had the same options... or they were conspicuously different - to avoid this problem.

Message 8 of 8
blair

I think is was due to the ability to have "Illuminated" and "Transparent". ADSK has been trying to become more consistent with their colors and appearances across their different software packages. A "Sky-Blue" in Inventor should have the same RGB value as a "Sky-Blue" in AutoCad.

It was probably easier just to add new families to the existing libraries with the transparent and illumination values.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report